Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-1999, 05:51 PM

Default How many tracks can I simutaneously record using Pro Tools LE, and Digi 001?

Also what is this time code thing. I was thing about syncing my vs 1680, and DATs together with Pro Tools LE, so does that mean it is not possible.
Old 10-04-1999, 01:29 AM

Default Re: How many tracks can I simutaneously record using Pro Tools LE, and Digi 001?

You can record 18 simlutaneous tracks from different inputs on digi001 (8 analog, 8 ADAT, 2 S/PDIF). And contrary to what folks have been saying PTLE will sync to MTC. The thing it doesn't have is a SMPTE timeline.
-Mike Rockwell
Old 10-04-1999, 05:52 AM

Default Re: How many tracks can I simutaneously record using Pro Tools LE, and Digi 001?

No SMPTE timeline? That is truly bad news.

Jasper
Old 10-04-1999, 06:49 AM

what do yo mean "no smpte time line" exactly. Does it work more like Logic where you have to set your own smpte start time? what happens if you open a PT 24 or older AM3 session in PT LE?
Old 10-04-1999, 09:14 AM

Mike - it does sync to MTC, but besides the lacking timeline, there's no timecode display, you can't set any sort of offset, and you can't use timecode for your grid (no nudging in frame increments, which makes it useless for post). Is this correct?

Also, please post a full list of the differences between PT and LE. This has been promised repeatedly, and I have yet to see it (I've also heard that some keyboard shortcuts have been omitted from LE, as well as some other things). Thanks.

Mike
Old 10-04-1999, 09:58 AM

Guys you set your start time exactly as you do now in pro tools. Based on a SMPTE start number.

You can still sync offset as you always could.

You can still set pro tools LE up to receive MTC via whatever port your midi interface is connected to or you can you the midi interface that is on the 001 interface to connect something that sends MTC directly to.
Also you can still send or generate MTC from pro tools LE.

You can still nudge by seconds or bars and beats no feet and frames. But 1 of the new things is that you can type in whatever nudge amount you want - like 1.000 seconds or 0.34 tenths of a second or what ever you want.
People doing video could figure out what they want their nudge factor to be and still spot audio and I know it's not the same but there is a way around it.
By the way, if you record some audio using the 001 and PT LE and you transfer it to a studio that has a TDM system and PT 5.0 the timestamp will then show feet and frames.In other words it's always timestamping for everything but in LE it's only showing you min/seconds and bars/beats.
Old 10-04-1999, 10:13 AM

But why this limitaton?
Even in Cubase (that is not a post orientd sofware) you can display Bar/beats OR SMPTE.
And I'll ask again.What about importing MC sessions via OMF tool?
And will it be possible to use the whole PT software with an AIII?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by gugu (edited 10-04-99).]
Old 10-04-1999, 05:38 PM

even the most basic sequencing program shows a fames display. How can Digi even consider the absence of frames. Even composers use frames to write to picture. DIGI WAKE UP!!
Old 10-04-1999, 11:23 PM

I agree with Angelo. Even if PT 5 LE is only for a music use, I can't imagine, when in sync with a film, to have to convert SMPTE in seconds and milliseconds, just to have a tempo change or an effect at an image cut. The SMPTE display was available in Cubase 1.0 ten vears ago.....

Jean
Old 10-04-1999, 11:43 PM

guys (and gals)....duh. if LE did what 5.0 does, who would spend all the extra money on the big rig. digi is awake, they're just not feeling generous.

www.tompaul.com