Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Ilok key says its owned by another user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisowaty1996 View Post
Hey Bruce,
Do you think that you could help me? I'm having the same issue in regards to not one but two iLoks saying that they're owned by another user. I was given ProTools Express with two iLoks as a gift by a college professor of mine. The iLoks appear unregistered on his account.
That's not something I could help with, you would need to know what iLok account those iLoks are registered to. They are registered already to some iLok account if that is the message you are getting. You would need to contact support at www.iLok.com and provide the serial numbers for those iLoks to them.

Or if there are no licenses on the iLoks that you need or want, you can purchase a new iLok 2 and register that to your own iLok account where the Pro Tools Express license is located.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 PM

Hi Bruce, I've had the same problem with my iLok
I live in Brazil but I purchased it sealed from Alto Music when I was visiting USA a few months ago.
When I got back home, in Brazil, and tried to install for the first time, the iLok gave me this message Owned by: Another User
I'm not sure what I did wrong or if it came with a factory defect.
All I know I just can't get a replacement.
Is there any way you could help me?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Captura de Tela 2014-12-22 às 18.26.44 - 00.pdf (93.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by rschardo; 12-22-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Missing File
Old 12-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschardo View Post
Hi Bruce, I've had the same problem with my iLok
I live in Brazil but I purchased it sealed from Alto Music when I was visiting USA a few months ago.
When I got back home, in Brazil, and tried to install for the first time, the iLok gave me this message Owned by: Another User
I'm not sure what I did wrong or if it came with a factory defect.
All I know I just can't get a replacement.
Is there any way you could help me?
From your screen shot, it appears that Alto Music sold you a product with an iLok already registered to someone else's account, indicating a returned item that they then resold to you.

You would need to contact support at www.iLok.com and provide the serial number for that iLok to them to see if they would be able to "unregister" the iLok from the previous account. I have no idea, but if there are no licenses on the iLok, they might be able to do that.

If I were in your situation, I would first contact Alto Music and have them resolve the problem, since they sold you an unusable item.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Hi Bruce, same problem here. I purchased pro tools express a while ago and just purchased the upgrade to PT 11. I can't complete the process as it's saying my ilok is registered to another user when I plug it in with the ilok license manager open. What do I need to do?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
Hi Bruce, same problem here. I purchased pro tools express a while ago and just purchased the upgrade to PT 11. I can't complete the process as it's saying my ilok is registered to another user when I plug it in with the ilok license manager open. What do I need to do?
I'm not sure, the iLok account associated with your forum email address does not have an iLok 2 registered to the account, only an original iLok.

There is also not a Pro Tools Express license on that account. So I'm guessing if you have Pro Tools Express on an iLok 2, it is on a different iLok account.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
I'm not sure, the iLok account associated with your forum email address does not have an iLok 2 registered to the account, only an original iLok.

There is also not a Pro Tools Express license on that account. So I'm guessing if you have Pro Tools Express on an iLok 2, it is on a different iLok account.

That's correct Bruce, I have an original iLok which IS registered with iLok and then when I bought Pro Tools Express in June it came with an iLok 2. I don't remember registering it, it was all a bit of a rush getting it up and running for a mobile work set up. As far as I can remember, I installed the PT Express software and the iLok 2 was plug and go. So now I've purchased the upgrade to PT 11 from Sweetwater and I can't complete the download and installation process as I'm stuck at the iLok page
Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
That's correct Bruce, I have an original iLok which IS registered with iLok and then when I bought Pro Tools Express in June it came with an iLok 2. I don't remember registering it, it was all a bit of a rush getting it up and running for a mobile work set up. As far as I can remember, I installed the PT Express software and the iLok 2 was plug and go. So now I've purchased the upgrade to PT 11 from Sweetwater and I can't complete the download and installation process as I'm stuck at the iLok page
I'll try to help you this weekend, but I will need more information to try to find out where you activated the Pro Tools Express license. Please see the Private Message I sent you.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Hi Bruce -

Just purchased PT 11 upgrade from 9 and having the same issue. I cannot surrender PT9 nor transfer my PT 11 License to my iLok. I get the error : ILOK Owned by another user. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am not 100% sure, but do not believe that I have a second ILOK account.

Regards,
Tim
Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo5150 View Post
Hi Bruce -

Just purchased PT 11 upgrade from 9 and having the same issue. I cannot surrender PT9 nor transfer my PT 11 License to my iLok. I get the error : ILOK Owned by another user. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am not 100% sure, but do not believe that I have a second ILOK account.

Regards,
Tim
The iLok account where you deposited the Pro Tools 11 upgrade is not the same as the iLok account where you deposited your Pro Tools 9 upgrade previously, according the registration records for your email address.

See the Private Message I sent you.

Your iLok is probably registered to the previous account. You would need to contact Avid Support to resolve the issue if that is the case.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM

I'm getting the same problem here. My Ilok also says it's been 'owned by another user'. I am certain that I don't have another account. Can anyone please help me solve this?