How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
(thanks v much - he's on the mend it seems, and hasn't had to go to hospital which is obviously a big deal.)
Yes that's very major, and excellent news :)

Re PT 20, I just don't think we are going to see it before Northern Hemisphere summer. That's my gut feel, and even if then. I also feel it's going to be a *really* good one and a lot of people will be happy.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
The reality is that AVID wants to put an end to the owners and wants to achieve 100% subscriptions. This is hypocritical and immoral, because we bought the software and paid for each version, but morality or ethics is not considered. In order for us to go on a subscription basis, AVID is determined to do everything. That's why Avid makes the upgrade too difficult and directs everything to the subscription. Personally, I would go to the subscription if there was any real compensation, a buy-back of the licenses at least partial. "We're changing models, but it's not your fault (on the contrary, you kept us alive): we offer to buy back your license in exchange for a subscription of equivalent value." Now we'd be ethical. And Avid would keep more customers. But the chief accountant said no, I guess!
But we, users, could change their mind. If we will not accept the subscription model by freezing our permanent licenses without stopping any kind of payment they will collapse.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
The reality is that AVID wants to put an end to the owners and wants to achieve 100% subscriptions. This is hypocritical and immoral, because we bought the software and paid for each version, but morality or ethics is not considered.
If you ever looked at your end user agreement (from AVID or ANY software you use), you would realize you NEVER owned your license. Every software company (other than "open source" software) maintains the policy that the user is licensing it's USE for a period of time (sometimes perpetually). I personally looked at the upgrade prices I had historically paid for AVID software in the past and found that the subscription cost was comparable. This is really not worth arguing about (since the ship has sailed), but to say AVID has put an end to "Owners" is just wrong.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 AM

That would also practically mean freezing your hardware, OS and other software to this point in time. You can try and tell us about the results later after X years you would eventually need to upgrade, which by then would mean a new license or a new subscription. Or whatever policy is in X years to come.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
If you ever looked at your end user agreement (from AVID or ANY software you use), you would realize you NEVER owned your license. Every software company (other than "open source" software) maintains the policy that the user is licensing it's USE for a period of time (sometimes perpetually). I personally looked at the upgrade prices I had historically paid for AVID software in the past and found that the subscription cost was comparable. This is really not worth arguing about (since the ship has sailed), but to say AVID has put an end to "Owners" is just wrong.
The difference is historically Avid was incentivized to release new software with new features in order to trigger a payment. Now they aren’t and it shows.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That would also practically mean freezing your hardware, OS and other software to this point in time. You can try and tell us about the results later after X years you would eventually need to upgrade, which by then would mean a new license or a new subscription. Or whatever policy is in X years to come.
Janne, my plan expires on december and I have the 2019.12 on a HS partiton. However due to the terrible sample rounding bug that since vs 12 affects midi clips as well I work mostly with PT11 on a yosemite part that is not affected by this bug. Sure, I can't run Kontakt 6 and others but I think that I have all I need. Btw in a race between users who stop payment and Avid with his crazy policy I think that users can go ahead and work, at least for some years. Avid could not.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 AM

I bet large movie studios cannot live without Avid so they just adapt their prices accordingly. Economy 101 says that if so called normal users stop paying, the prices will rise and it is not a problem for those who write it off, but instead so called normal users find it hard to come back in the game later. So be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
These legal considerations do not change the commercial history from the client's point of view. I am speaking from that perspective.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I bet large movie studios cannot live without Avid so they just adapt their prices accordingly. Economy 101 says that if so called normal users stop paying, the prices will rise and it is not a problem for those who write it off, but instead so called normal users find it hard to come back in the game later. So be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
Are you saying that Avid could live with the Hollywood enviroment only? Without thousands of "normal users"? And how much avid should rise their prices? x3, x4? Steinberg with Nuendo could steal this market to Avid. Janne I think that this kind of policy (avid) in long terms is not profitable for Avid itself. Users have been generous during these last years while Avid has become more and more hungry. When they need cash money they invent something new like the digilink license. But patient is not infinite.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:55 AM

Just guessing Avid is too big for Hollywood to go under