How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Default Midi Bug In 12.8

Hi all,

Has anyone else had midi data corrupted or read differently when "up" grading to 12.8.

Where I have trimmed a midi clip 12.8 is now playing all the notes prior to the trim, which leaves two lines of midi on top of each other in the same clip (see picture). These notes can't be deleted without consolidating with the previous clip and then manually deleting. This has destroyed/disrupted many hours worth of editing.

In other clips pro tools is playing muted notes and clips.

Does avid even test releases before upgrading? It feels like they are tone deaf to how users actually use the product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi fun.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Midi Bug In 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fksedal View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone else had midi data corrupted or read differently when "up" grading to 12.8.

Where I have trimmed a midi clip 12.8 is now playing all the notes prior to the trim, which leaves two lines of midi on top of each other in the same clip (see picture). These notes can't be deleted without consolidating with the previous clip and then manually deleting. This has destroyed/disrupted many hours worth of editing.

Does avid even test releases before upgrading? It feels like they are tone deaf to how users actually use the product.
Not sure if you mean 12.8, 12.8.1 or 12.8.2. 12.8 was pretty buggy. I skipped it completely until 12.8.2 came out. I was at 12.6.1 for months.

Maybe you should look at the latest version and the two previous release note? Just a thought.

Here is fixes for 12.8.2, but I don't have time to read through it for you.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/r...-Release-Notes
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the tip

Unfortunately it is happening in 12.8.2
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM

I had this problem today.

I had a session I needed to do an edit on, and I tried to "drag out" the "beginning" a MIDI region via the Trim tool, to get a few extra beats from the original performance that had been edited down. But when I tried to drag out the edge (over the adjacent original part, which I had made into a separate region and muted), I got an Assertion error (I didn't note which one, because I had a deadline to deal with). This was a pre-12.8.2 session that I was opening in 12.8.2 I just checked it again and was able to drag the region edge this time. It seems random. I did delete the prefs this morning, but I had the Assertion Error afterwards. Maybe I needed to do a full CPU restart.

MacOS 10.12.6
Mac Pro 5.1 loaded custom.
Pro Tools HD 12.8.2
HD I/O

Last edited by massivekerry; 10-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

confirmed here.
12.8.2 PT HD native.
OSX Sierra
Exactly as you described.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.

This one is probably the final straw for me... trialling Cubase and Studio One - looking to not use Pro Tools for new sessions going forward.

It's disingenuous for Avid to be touting all these 'midi improvements' when they can't even get the basics (latency, clips etc.) right.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:25 AM

Have had this bug too in a biiiiig way. Probably the worst Pro Tools issue I've ever encountered and has been pretty devastating.

I have however managed to find a solution that's been working for me after a lot of trial and error:

Create a new PT session at a different sample rate (source sessions presenting the problem are all at 96K - this procedure with new 96K sessions didn't work for me, but did with 44.1K sessions).

Import Session Data of affected MIDI tracks from original session without importing tempo information.

Assuming these playback correctly (with the exception of tempo obviously), consolidate the MIDI regions on each track.

In the original PT session, bring these consolidated tracks back via Import Session Data. Delete/deactivate the original tracks.

For me, this has worked to 'disinfect' the MIDI data. It's been fine with the very extensive automation that was already in place and got me back to where I was.

This needs to be fixed ASAP though. Utterly unacceptable that a product release boasting MIDI improvements has this bug. We have an album due for delivery this month and more than 50 PT sessions full of meticulously programmed MIDI data that have suddenly turned to ****. I've also found the issue affects all session files within a folder - from the latest to those haven't been opened for over a year.

Edit for reference: OSX 10.11.6, 2014 Mac Pro (trash can), Avid Omni IO/HD Native, Pro Tools HD 12.8.2. Issue seemed to come with the 12.8.2 update for me. Also presented with same sessions on a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Last edited by brenjwc; 11-13-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Hi, are you on Mac or Windows? I'm using 12.8 on Windows 10, and I haven't had this.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 PM

I have a strange problem where I input MIDI notes from my keys (any of them, I have three) and nothing plays faster than quarter notes. Some notes are on top of each other. Notes group in clumps and play in quarter note rhythm. Interestingly, I can go to other projects or create a new file, and MIDI inputs fine. It appears this file is corrupt of some configuration has changed. I have compared settings on this file to other files and cannot see any difference. Anyone else have this problem. This thread is the only thing online that comes anywhere close to my problem.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransum View Post
I have a strange problem where I input MIDI notes from my keys (any of them, I have three) and nothing plays faster than quarter notes. Some notes are on top of each other. Notes group in clumps and play in quarter note rhythm. Interestingly, I can go to other projects or create a new file, and MIDI inputs fine. It appears this file is corrupt of some configuration has changed. I have compared settings on this file to other files and cannot see any difference. Anyone else have this problem. This thread is the only thing online that comes anywhere close to my problem.
you might be hijacking this thread technically .. you should start a new thread for this ...

BUT ... do you have INPUT Quantise tunred on maybe ??? set o Quarter NOte ???

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro