Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 05:04 PM

Default I really hate to bring it up again...

I really hate to bring it up again, but how would you get timecode up and running in PTLE/001. I'm assuming there is some other devise that will work with PTLE. some outboard gear that costs money. Hopefully not too much.

Someone mentioned a "Midi Timepiece"???

Gar
Old 05-15-2001, 08:49 PM

Default Re: I really hate to bring it up again...

It depends what you're sending the 001 or if your sending it out of the 001 to another piece of gear. I use the MTC from the 001 to run my time code and automation on my DA-7. Works great, price nothing, comes with the gear.It's better to have a time piece that can sync up all your gear but if you can't afford it hopefully your gear already has a form of code that can chase or send code.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:50 PM

P.S. the 001 can send and chase MTC. Your half way to syncing atleast.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:30 AM

That is what I wanted to hear. I know of one person who runs Logic on 001 for a number of reasons, one being timecode. I was hoping to not have to do that.

Approx. how much ($) would it take to sync up all the way? And what would the device be.

Gar
Old 05-16-2001, 07:10 PM

A Motu Time piece Mark Of The Unicorn has Smpte, MTC and a few more toys. I took a quick look but turned quickly after hearing the price. $1400.00 Cnd. From what I understand it is a great piece of gear. I just can't afford it at the time. I'm sure there are other great pieces of gear but I hae researched it or A-B'd any of it, so I can't tell you if it would be worth the $$$. For now I'm happy with myset up. Good Hunting.
Dink
Old 05-19-2001, 01:12 AM

Dinkus is wrong. 001 will not chase code. If you read the manual, you will see that it only has SMPTE trigger, unless resolved to word clock. Read the numerous threads here. Read my other post here.
Old 05-19-2001, 03:17 PM

I'm not sure that I am wrong. You yourself in another post state: "send MTC from MX2424 to 001, and this is the good part; send S/PDIF word clock out of MX2424 to 001 and you are resolved." This would mean that the 001 does chase MTC. Unless I've totally misunderstood your sentence, (this does happen from time to time) then I would be right. Right?
Old 05-19-2001, 05:05 PM

I think its a matter of semantics.
Timecode..MTC or smpte..is only positional sync...ie..start at frame x. This is also known as "trigger sync"..ie..from the inital trigger or number/frame/ reference point.

After that..each device will freewheel to their own internal clock/speed..unless they are "clocked" to a common source. This is where the wordclock comes in. Connecting all your devices to a common smpte source..will only make them all sync to a given start point in time. So...it doesn't really "chase" the code.

For segments 3 mins or shorter..you might be ok..with just trigger sync..ie..just locking to MTC>.or smpte. (in other words..telling all your devices to start together at a specific point)..But..for longer pieces..and especially..with multiple devices..you will wnat them to operate off a common clock.

The DTP from Motu (digital time piece)..is about 900 bucks US..and will accept and output any number of clock sources..etc. It also has an rca spdif out for wordclock which is why it comes in handy for the Digi AMIII or 001..as this is how you clock these cards (by sending wordclock to the rca spdif input). As a general rule..most times..the smpte or wordclock connectors will be bnc type connectors. (check out the 882 or 888 from Digi and you will see what I mean..also check out MOTU's website..and look at the back panel of any of their audio interfaces).

Since these are not included on the AMIII or 001..the only way to clock them..is thru the rca spdif port. The DTP has this abilty. But..you could use a different unit..such as the older Digi Universal Slave Driver..which ouputs Digi superclock..and use a converter to convert to wordclock as well as..from bnc..to rca spdif. I think there were some older posts on the forum in the archives about a company call "friend chip" from germany..that makes converters such as these.

You don't really need to do all this unless you are working with external equipment..such as decks..tape machines..etc. If you are simply digitizing a movie..then..use a quicktime movie with a window burn of the timecode on it.

As far as seeing timecode..the only timecode youll see in PTle..is MTC. You can view this code by opening the session setup window and view current time. As an alternative..you might check into Serrato's Pitch and Time plugin. Its for time compression/expansion and pitch shifting..and I understand its quite good. ITs also about 500 bucks..but I think it does have a feature that would allow you to view smpte timecode in PTle.

It gets confusing I know. Actually..the MTP AV does have both smpte..and wordclock on it I believe...but for somereason..it has not worked as a clock source for resolving Digi PTle systems. I believe this might have to do with the fact that..it uses bnc wordclock connectors..not rca spdif. Perhaps you could use a cheap converter (such as the one from friend chip)? to convert it to rca..but..I think there are some technical limitations to this..and this is probably the reason..that I haven't heard of anyone succesfully doing this to date.

Anway..I hope this helps some.

btw..a "wordclock" is simply a few bytes of data..sent in a pulse. Blackburst..is timed pulses of a video "black" signal. These pulses are used as a reference signal by all the devives..to run their internal speed to. If you have all your devices running at the same speed (clocked)..and..you have them all start at the same point in time (trigger sync/MTC/SMPTE)..the your system is considered "resolved".

If you have just wordclock..then..all devices will run at the same speed..but..may not start together at any given point and time.

If you have just MTC..or SMPTE..then..all devices will start togehter at the same point and time..but..will slowly drift apart..in speed..the longer they run. Pressing stop..then play again..will "retrigger" all devices.

dcornutt
Old 05-19-2001, 07:14 PM

Of course its important to point out that the sync options of pro-tools are purposely taken out of LE.
This is a simple option that was omitted to promote sales of the more expensive pro tools systems.
Old 05-19-2001, 10:50 PM

Amen to that, but at this price where else can you record and have so much fun!!!