Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-07-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Avid Express Pro to Protools & back again

Can someone outline the best way to get audio, video and an EDL out of Avid Expres Pro into Protools for dubbing?

Is an OMF, presumably embedded the correct way or what about AAF?

I have a Canpus ADC 100 box so would need a DV video.

What about taking the finished dub back into Avid? OMF or AAF expert from Protools or simply a time stamped stereo file?

I have an HD 2 Accel system with PT v6.7 on a G4/933 with Canopus DV box.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Avid Express Pro to Protools & back again

OK,

I don't really know anything about AAF but exports from Avid Xpress to ProTools is something I do know about.

I take it that you've got the DV Toolkit?

In my experience, the best way to go is to export an embedded AIFF OMF (choose option OMFI 2 Embedded - this consolidates your media and timeline info down into one file - make sure that you give yourself some good 'handles')
This is what I have found to be the most reliable in the past. You can try a non embedded OMF, they have worked for me the the past but not consistantly.

When getting your final mix back into Avid you can either bounce the stereo mix down into one handy AIFF file with sync plops to indicate start time and import it into your Avid or play it out onto tape (again with sync plops) and then digitise it back into your Avid - have to say that I've never used the time stamping between platforms, so don't know if that would work or not.

You can re-export your tracks from the ProTools to go back into your Avid if you really need to.

Picture wise - is it a ProTools AV option rig or do you use Quicktime videos with the Canopus?

Email me and I'll be happy to talk about it - I'm based near Manchester too.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 AM

Mike, if you've not already looked - the thread about OMF Imports started by MarkPresti - has all the info you need. I already described the process from an Avid Adrenaline to PT on this thread - and i assume its pretty standard for most avids, they do try to maintain the workflow across systems.

and i'm in manchester too....in fact i'm about 20' from soundbird right this minute!!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 AM

Well folks,

I got the files today from the client whose editor obviously knows his stuff as I got an embedded OMF and a .dv movie and it all opened up in Protools (I do have Digi-Translator) first time with no problems.

Thanks again to the Manchester crew for your help and advice.