Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
I think everyone should get the bug fixes absolutely free, no questions. Many of us, particularly HD users paid a lot of money for something that doesn't work. It's that simple. What good are all the extras if the host is broken. I'm not angry but disappointed. I'm using other software because of a request to do so and may continue to do so. We all love the PT workflow but that went away for a lot of us. I hope you find your way back and have a little heart. No extras, just fixes for free. I'm learning more and more workflows in your competitor's software, in the meantime. I'll miss xpand2 and a few other plugs but none of the new extras. Good luck.
100%

Tying bug fixes to a subscription is pretty questionable IMO.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
The best answer we get is maybe sometime in a year or more something is coming but we can't tell you what or whether you'll even be interested. That's a lot of coin for something that isn't returning. It'd be nice to be offered downgrade/upgrade options for those interested in moving one way or the other until Avid demonstrates some value there.
Unfortunately, the words of the last webinar (PT12 announcement) still ring out loud to me. Tony and the guys said in response to a question regarding new HD features that they were currently focused on achieving "integration and stability improvements" in respect of PTHD when used on its large format consoles.

They futher went on to add that NEW features exclusively for HD were further down the development road.

So question one has to be .... Have all of thos integration and stability improvements been released? I don't see much sign of them in PT release notes so far, and it seems reasonable o assume that until they all released, there won't be much in the way of new HD only functionality.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
6) Without going into detailed examples (unless you want us to), you, I, and everyone else here, knows that this is not the first time questions have been raised regarding statements you have made .... questions that have sometimes gone unanswered, either by you ignoring them completely, or by you responding with words that do not actually answer the question asked.
Great post, I won't quote it in it's entirety.
A few of of my favorite toys: Retro Instruments 176 (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM 70, SPX90, Roland SDE 3000...
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
100%

Tying bug fixes to a subscription is pretty questionable IMO.
Sadly I can't imagine AVID ever tying bug fixes to anything other than the current version - and that version needs a subscription. This is one of the less desirable but inevitable features of an incremental (rapid) release strategy - ie subscription.

PS - another voice in the crowd saying that many of us are wanting an ongoing conversation - not a periodic answering of a few questions and then silence for months as real issues come up. You see long posts by several 15+ year PT users. My sincere wish is that this is the start of a conversation that becomes ongoing. Sadly - there is a lot of pent up frustration that will have to be gotten through first...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-19-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi propower,

There will be a good lot of stability improvements in 12.5.1.

Tony
Tony, will the promised "as coming" Avid HD Driver update, that will reinstate 3rd party playback on OSX Yosemite and El Cap on Avid HD hardware be in this new release ?
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2019.12 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Hi propower,

In reality, nothing short of a 12.5.x that:
- really fixes the -9713 errors,
- the noise blasts,
- the undo list problem, and a few others,

combined with about 6 months of free support plan extension in exchange for the 6 months of unpaid beta testing we have done this year will begin to rebuild any goodwill for AVID and this product.

Hopefully there is some adult supervision there that would see the wisdom in this.

This is my effort to keep the conversation positive.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hi propower,

Regarding your question about our engagement on PTE, this is indeed one of the ways we talk directly to our customers. In addition, we occasionally host our own webinars and appear in other's videos, like on Pensado's Place. There's no shunning one for the other.

Thanks for being a part of the community,
Tony
I sure hope so tony. I don't know what the heck happened with the code. But 12.4 and 12.5 have been very problematic. 11 very solid in comparison for me.

I love protools. But man you guys gotta step it up with the coding. Never thought about leaving for a new daw before but i am close. Its hard to recommend 12 to anyone in its current state. Not a features thing. All stability.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 PM

Tony, I'm still on PTHD 11.

As an HD user, Avid has got a lot of work to do to convince me to upgrade. Any money you want from me is "coming soon".

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 05-19-2016, 11:48 PM

When one writes and email or an online post, it's very easy to get the tone wrong on the other end. Having said that, I find myself trying to keep my cool in writing this post. ProTools 12 for me has been a total waste of money and in fact has cost me time and money. I've been using ProTools since before it was called pro tools, and I've never been so close to jumping ship from something that I've enjoyed using for so many years. This latest version for me is a buggy disaster that I am paying a lot of money to beta test and troubleshoot for AVID. And not just one HD license, but six. I won't be sending any more crash logs, I won't be sending any more emails to tech-support to help me fix it. I'm staying with what works and helps me get my job done; for me it's latest version of ProTools 11. And in the meantime I am very proactively pursuing a new platform to get my work done. I can appreciate innovation and new ideas, but what good is any of it if the software is so unstable that it causes you so much grief?! In my view, the software is simply not stable enough to run professional sessions of the track counts and plug-ins that I personally I use on a daily basis. ProTools 12 is a buggy mess that makes our high level pro studio look bad. We're holding at 11 for now. I can appreciate Tony chiming in (although I didn't listen to the podcast) to give us a little insight, but frankly, it's pretty late in the game don't you think? If you look back and all the threads on the user conference, there have been problems riddling the software for months. The feeling I get is that Avid thinks everything is peachy and that we're all to blame because we're done something wrong on our end. I'm sorry, it shouldn't be that hard to use your software. And on the subject of bug fix releases or new features?? Please make a version of the software that's stable first, and then add features. You said it yourself, writing code is a difficult process. Don't make it more difficult for yourself by fixing important bugs and at the same time adding new bugs. This new subscription plan has been a sham so far. You would be correct in observing that I don't have that much positive things to say about many things ProTools these days. That is correct. I wish I was having the more rosy experience that some other people are experiencing, but that's simply not the case for whatever reason. Again it shouldn't be this hard.
YMMV
Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 PM

Default Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

On my side I always loved protools stability against any other DAW.
And sorry for been kind but my system its still super solid. Even on 12.5
I am a HD user and I been working in protools since 7.3 TDM.
sorry again but today I think I have the more stable system ever.
I do a lot of surround work with tons of automation and a very healthy pack of multi channel plugs. Also HD video running along.
My system is running 10.8.5 on a Mac Pro 2009 4.1 with HDX & dual UAD duo's.
Again. 12.5 is really stable for me. Sometimes and I do say sometimes it has bumps or some weirdness, but a good restart will solve the problem.
So, I understand the angryness of users in the community because some issues arrived with 12.5 to some OS or machines, but we have to be careful to over generalize on this issues because normally the forums are places where problems are trying to be solved and some good news will not always pass.

My 2 little cents.

Full specs:
HDX1-192 I/O & 96 I/O SYNC HD
24 faders D-Command with jcooper surround panner.
Blackmagic HD extreme.
2 UAD duo's (one PCie, one FireWire)
12.5HD 10.8.5 along with Protools 10HD
Waves Mercury, McDSP, Sonnox, Brainworks, Audioease etc.
5 internal hard disks including a SSD system drive.
Disk warrior drive maintenance one a month and cocktail system cleaning 2 times a month.
It works excellent!!

Ps. I know that mountain lion days are numbered.

Last edited by Watagushu2013; 05-20-2016 at 12:13 AM.