Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Re: 12.5 : No way, no way, no way

unsubscribed ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM

John1192,
Nothing special. Brand new clean install of everything (OSX Yosemite and Protools) running on a qualified Mac Pro with lots of RAM. Like I said, the AVID techs didn't find anything out of the ordinary, and had very little to offer.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtung View Post
PT12 is very unstable and crashy for me. I too have had avid techs into my machine and they don't have an explanation. And I I don't have any workarounds other than getting my work done on PT11 for now. The only thing I can conclude is that the scale of my typical mix is simply too much for protools 12, because the same session opened on PT11 is very smooth. Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions. I guess the reason I'm posting this is to give a little support to those others who also have crashy PT12 and no explanation. It's not you, it's PT12.
This is appreciated. I think sometimes I come here to know I'm not alone. After an hour with a veteran Avid tech inside my computer yesterday. 12.5 is unusable for me tons of freezing, CPU errors. The only advice the Avid tech had for me at the end was to go back to 11.3.2... I'm back working without crashes but I had an awful noise burst this morning. Wishing I could use 12.5 but it's not happening

I can't even get my head around how this all got so bad. My buddy is done and spent the past month learning Cubase.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
+1. I'm hoping after the 12.5 release is out the door, that a major development focus shift occurs back to many of these desperately needed features.

Shane
There are high hopes with Avid. It is also much disappointed. I do not think it changes before the 22nd century. Read philosophy Steinberg below. This is another world:

" Our philosophy is based around the company motto “Creativity First” which drives us to innovate and search for new tools and continue to develop new technologies. Failing to do so would be acting against our core values.

Tending to customer feedback is and always will be one of our top priorities. Although we may occasionally not find the time and resources to post a reply on each and every one of the threads, posts and comments across all community channels, this doesn’t mean we are not reading and listening to our customers’ sentiments. You are passionate about our products and services, and we cherish your continued support.

As we have done in the past, and as you deem necessary once again, we are now collecting your comments and suggestions from which we shall compile a list. We shall share this list with you in January, giving you the opportunity to involve yourself with prioritisation of mentioned points.

The second step will have our engineers assess feasibility of the prioritised list to see which points can be delivered up until the next major update. These will then be shared with you.

As always our paramount focus will be on ensuring stability and usability throughout implementation.

We highly appreciate your confidence in us to live up to our commitment in providing you with only the very best. "

PC Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v2 8 cores
3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

Prism sound Atlas and 2 Focal Solo Be + Sub

Etc.!

www.claudemarcbourget.com
www.metis-islands.com
Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
This is appreciated. I think sometimes I come here to know I'm not alone. After an hour with a veteran Avid tech inside my computer yesterday. 12.5 is unusable for me tons of freezing, CPU errors. The only advice the Avid tech had for me at the end was to go back to 11.3.2... I'm back working without crashes but I had an awful noise burst this morning. Wishing I could use 12.5 but it's not happening

I can't even get my head around how this all got so bad. My buddy is done and spent the past month learning Cubase.
Same for me (in Windows 7). I lost half a day with 12.5. Unable to communicate with my Lynx card even after reinstallation, etc. All crashes and freezing. And the sound is inaudible. I returned to 12.4 and that's fine. Horrible. In addition, these connections requests ... we had the annoying manager. There was Connect. Personally, I disconnect! !

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

Etc.!

www.metis-islands.com
Old 03-31-2016, 05:42 AM

12.5 is working pretty well here. I could put thumbs down for "artist chat" dropping characters when I type (yes, I type with 10 fingers and taking a look at what I typed is disastrous). Some of the cloud features also are still half-baked.

Nevertheless, I was glad to be able to mix few guitar tracks that were originally San Fransisco and I'm located Tampere,Finland -- 10 hour time difference, 24 hour travel -- so once the intial bugs are ironed out, this is going to be huge :)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
12.5 is working pretty well here. I could put thumbs down for "artist chat" dropping characters when I type (yes, I type with 10 fingers and taking a look at what I typed is disastrous). Some of the cloud features also are still half-baked.

Nevertheless, I was glad to be able to mix few guitar tracks that were originally San Fransisco and I'm located Tampere,Finland -- 10 hour time difference, 24 hour travel -- so once the intial bugs are ironed out, this is going to be huge :)
There are many ways to do this otherwise. But I understand the advantage. That said, no one is against the benefits. It is rather that the important things are neglected. I can mix with a colleague from Russia, but I can not just move two same time markers on my rule or make MIDI playlists ...

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

Etc.!

www.metis-islands.com
Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I think he meant clocking to an external source for a much better & cleaner clocking signal and thus avoid even the slightest and subtle jitter. Like an Avid SYNC HD.
the higher your sample rate gets the more jitter is introduced as it puts additional stress on the system..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter
Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
the higher your sample rate gets the more jitter is introduced as it puts additional stress on the system..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter
Yes, it's good that way, the system is strong. PT limit is more annoying.

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

Etc.!

www.metis-islands.com
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Some of the cloud features also are still half-baked.

I hope the AVID devs dont spend to much effort baking the rest of this "collaboration pie" straight away.
Even though its a good feature ..., it's only useful to some. I find it ludicrous that AVID even spent time on this collab feature while both versions 11 and 12 are still so unstable compared to 10.

The thought of the AVID Devs wasting further time by looking into an Avid version of skype (to the collab feature) at this stage scares me
I do wish AVID would get out of fairy land and get back to trying to make protools reliable again.
Pro Tools 2019.6 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.3.0 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D300 2048Mb * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 (Broken !!! - shyte support from Blackmagic Singapore > A-Holes) * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 03-31-2016 at 09:19 AM.