Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-19-2000, 05:07 PM

Default 001 on a powerTowerPro

i want to run a 001 on my powerTower Pro (PTP). i've got a 350MHz g4 upgrade in the beast and want to know if this will run ptLE well....i will also be trying to store all of my data on external firewire drives. i am a bit worried that the throughput may not be enough, but then again , i use external firewire drives for video and it all works fine. (but that is from my powerbook firewire) i did some tests playing video from an external firewire drive on my PTP and it played with only slight jerkiness. i definitely will not be able to afford SCSI drives, but may get an ata/66 card for the PTP and get the cheaper IDE drives for all of my audio storage. i do have a 2940uw card on it, but only a 2GB drive on that. you just get so much more price/performance from an IDE drive..... perhaps i will spring for a nice fat uw drive for it..... i also only have 256MB of ram onthe PTP. would i benefit greatly from more ram? (of course more ram=better, but i want to hear about some of others configurations).

are people out there able to run the 001/ptLE on 9500 class machines with no problems? i guess i just need to know, or else i might stick the 001 on a windows machine that has a faster procc and more storage.....

please respond with comments and suggestions.
Old 10-19-2000, 10:42 PM

Default Re: 001 on a powerTowerPro

I have a power tower pro with a NewerTech G3/333/166 and I get -6045 errors ALL THE TIME!!! It sucks, It runs better with Logic but I'm still VERY unhappy with it. I would seriously consider a new computer.
Old 10-20-2000, 12:01 AM

Ditto:

I was forced to upgrade to a DP 500 G4 (Not really forced, I guess. I could have gone to a 400 for a lot less) from my (formerly) trusty PowerCenter Pro with a NewerTech G3 300 card, which I dearly loved for every other computer task, due to the numerous errors flagged using the 001 either with PTLE or Logic. I also had a brand new expensive ATTO SCSI card in that rig that never did work right. (I nearly frisbee-ed that piece of crap off my balcony more than once).

Clones (especially processor upgraded clones) as great as they are, are unfortunately pretty much renegade machines these days. Of course most of us bought them in a time when it looked like Apple might never again make a decent computer for a reasonable price. Luckily for all of us they righted themselves well exceeding almost everyone's expectations and that never came to pass.

Cut your losses on the clone and go new G4. Also, you going to a PC would likely make my horror stories seem like a day at the beach. Stay with Mac.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:09 AM

I was using the 001 on a PowerTower Pro 225 without any real problems. Had a fast hard drive and LOT of RAM (512 MBs). I did see a tremendous difference when I upgraded to a G4-450. PTP 225 gave me about 8-12 tracks with a total of about 6-8 plug-ins (mostly EQ). These arent great numbers but it was stable. The G4 kicks ass though. It takes some serious plug-ins (Moogerfoogers, RealVerb, D-Verb...) before the system pukes. I like the Mac but any platform with a very fast A/V hard drive and processor will be miles ahead of what you have now. Remember to get a 10,000 rpm drive and plenty of RAM (at least 256 megs - more is better) and you will be very happy.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:16 PM

I run 001 on a 9500 w/ g3 375 cpu and 256 ram.At the moment it runs fine although i havn't gone to 24 tracks yet,I only have one hard drive and this hasn't caused any trouble .I get about 12-15 plugins depending on what they are,D-verb chews alot of power.My main problem is hard drive space ,I need anew one and scsi is increasingly xpensive.Adaptec have also discontinued the 2940UW card that i was planning on using ,any suggestions?Cheers.
Old 10-22-2000, 02:33 AM

yeah. i picked up my 001 today. i'm getting those -6045 errors. it sort of sucks. i was really hoping i could get away with it at least for a little while. i might have to temporarily stick the 001 on a pc for a bit. i use win2k machines for my maya work and recently had the opportunity to get a dual pIII system for that, so my old 450pIII is gonna be retired for a bit, and most likely given proTools duties (for a little while, till i can get my g4, or a sweet deal on an expansion chassis) if i can get a pci box for my 500 firewire powerbook w/ 640MB of ram in it, i would be fine, but those chassis are as much as the 001 (i wish i could build my own) and my 450pIII has 512 MB of ram an 11gig drive and a 30gig drive. i have a firewire 30gig drive and my new dual 800pIII has a 30gig drive for OS and Apps and a 60gig raid. all this gear, but not always suited for the production tasks @ hand. i wish i could have bought a new g4 (the 400 or 450x2 would have been enough) but the company would only buy me a 3d machine cause thats what they want to use me for (but they dont realize that i'm a way better musician than animator yet...) but its okay. i wanted to wait for Apples gear to either catch up in price/performance, or...or i dunno. i really wish i could run PT on my powerbook. i heard that somebody wrote translators for PT-win to PT mac. some sort of converter App....i really really want to run it on my power tower pro. its got that 350 g4 in it. 256MB of ram. a whopping 2gigs od 2940uw storage on a 7200rpm drive....firewire....and a couple of ati video cards. this beast is enough to do many things, but it looks like PT aint one of them. maybe she'll just have to be a beastie of a photoshop/commotion workstation. After all, i can stuff a gig of ram into her if i was extremely wealthy and stupid. maybe if i am rolling in cash and just want to make it the baddest clone ever.....
amateur tool: you were able to get your machine running. maybe its the scsi card that is eating all of my pci bandwidth. i will shuffle around the firing order a bit to see if i can get her to play. i got it to record, but cant playback. there has to be something i can do about it! i've just spent double my budget for gear for the next two years in the last 10 months....and i really need to use it more often to get my return on investment. if i didnt buy so much damn stock, i would have the 1500 i need to put together a decent mac that can run pt for me....but i am a greedy punk ...so no new mac for me. if only apple werent dragging its feet for the last few years, maya would be on the mac allready and i could stick to mac gear....but i'll have to wait for a while till maya is on my macintosh.i even wanted to wait to get my newest machine for the fancy DDR machines, but i must buy and use now...... i really want my pt on the mac though....i will twist and bend and freak and tweak till i am satified that this beastie wont work in my PTP (i'll give myself about 40hrs of r&d before i install it on my pc) this will break my hear meaning that yet another of my tools will be crossing over to the satanic realm of computing, but hey, the gear is inexpensive and run almost anything.

if some of you could give your slot configs and what not on your machines that have been able to run the 001 on a 95/9600 class machine, that would be great!
(example : pci1---2940uw, pci2---firewire, pci3---001)

thank you all for the help though....
andrew

[This message has been edited by garuda_x (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 10-22-2000, 11:15 AM

I tried to get some help on the DUC, but nobody seems to use this :
Acard/Bridgesmart/(Sonnet) IDE PCI-card
(allows old Macs-in my case 8600. to use IDE Ultra ATA66 drives.....and works very good, generally speaking... I heard...) ....
...so...I ordered one myself and an IBM Deskstar/30Gb drive.....
I should get them any day now....I will post the results.....
If somebady care..../P.
Old 10-23-2000, 02:03 AM

i am curious as to how that card performs....i ahve been tempted yo buy the ProMax version of the ata/66 card. the drives are just so damn cheap and they are plenty fast enough to do almost anything........ please post your performance w/ the device. i want to get one for the old PTP. i will rip out the scsi and the tiny drive and try to work from there w/ the 001. cheers.
_x