Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Auto Tune 7 (TDM) Major Issues in Graphical Mode

I'm currently demoing the TDM version of Auto Tune 7 (v. 7.03), and it has been a complete disaster. I already own the RTAS version, but was considering upgrading for the benefit of lower latency with the TDM version. Unfortunately, when working in graphical mode I am experiencing tonnes of artifacts i.e. clicks, pops, and warbles. It's unpredictable and random, and makes the plugin totally unusable.

Since AT Version 7 also includes an authorization for Evo, I tried that as well and got the same results in graphical mode. Interestingly, the plugin does seem to work better in RTAS, although I have noticed some weird phasing on "ess" sounds that reminds me a bit of Melodyne. Perhaps it has something to do with the presence of the new time stretching algorithm.

My question is, how could a plugin be so poorly coded for TDM and not have the same issues in RTAS? At this point, it certainly doesn't warrant the $249 investment for the upgrade. Antares definitely needs to address this issue. Curious to know what other users have experienced.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Auto Tune 7 (TDM) Major Issues in Graphical Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
I'm currently demoing the TDM version of Auto Tune 7 (v. 7.03), and it has been a complete disaster. I already own the RTAS version, but was considering upgrading for the benefit of lower latency with the TDM version. Unfortunately, when working in graphical mode I am experiencing tonnes of artifacts i.e. clicks, pops, and warbles. It's unpredictable and random, and makes the plugin totally unusable.

Since AT Version 7 also includes an authorization for Evo, I tried that as well and got the same results in graphical mode. Interestingly, the plugin does seem to work better in RTAS, although I have noticed some weird phasing on "ess" sounds that reminds me a bit of Melodyne. Perhaps it has something to do with the presence of the new time stretching algorithm.

My question is, how could a plugin be so poorly coded for TDM and not have the same issues in RTAS? At this point, it certainly doesn't warrant the $249 investment for the upgrade. Antares definitely needs to address this issue. Curious to know what other users have experienced.
The latest version of AT EVO RTAS is also a shame ...
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM

The TDM version of Autotune has never ever worked they way it should - The RTAS version is fine.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Any resolution to this? I'm on HD native and it's TERRIBLE. I had better results with my AT on mix plus system...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 AM

AT Evo ( AT 6 ) RTAS works kind of good here...
If you have trouble try to lower the internal buffersize inside Auto Tune.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM

I agree about lowering the buffer size.

Large buffer sizes seem to place a burden on the plug in, and give quite inconsistent results.

I've noticed on sessions that have several takes, if you need to tune a later take (say more than 15 minutes into the session), and you are using host clock, you need to have at least enough time in the buffer to extend to the beginning of the session. That's when things start to get strange.

I prefer to use audiosuite to tune single phrases or notes that need help. Use internal as clock, and set the buffer for just a bit more than the length of the phrase you are working on. That way, the plug just seems much more stable.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 AM

After I started using melodyne I never looked back to auto-tune...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0