Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Default Perpetual money pit : )

Hi,

Does anyone know if AVID is still giving a 30-day grace period to re-up the annual update / tech support subscription for pro tools ultimate perpetual?

Mine may be due soon and I would rather not spend the money at the moment with all that's going on.

Thanks,

mightyduck
Old 04-07-2020, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Perpetual money pit : )

Solved, I think.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...t-new-versions

Best,

mightyduck
Old 04-07-2020, 11:26 PM

If that is what you have then Why do you keep calling it a subscription? Annual Plan / Support Plan or Subscription ! Huge Differences!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-10-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If that is what you have then Why do you keep calling it a subscription? Annual Plan / Support Plan or Subscription ! Huge Differences!
Because that is what it is. It’s a subscription that you have to renew every year or you lose the upgrade and support feature. I have a perpetual Ultimate Pro Tool, and every year they ask for more money to keep it current, keep plugins authorized, and receive so-called tech support. : )

I understand that its not the same as a subscription to the software license itself, if that is your point.

So You can call it whatever you want, but its basically a tech support subscription. Worse yet, if you don’t renew it on time, you run the risk of losing it altogether or paying some enormous fee to “reinstate” it. You also lose the authorizations to the complete plugin bundle. So letting the “subscription” lapse is no joke.

So you get a perpetual license, but without the annual upgrade plan you can run into situations where you are unable to use a current operating system on your computer because your version of Pro Tools does not support it.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 04-11-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:01 AM

BTW, I know this is probably laughable, but is there any hope of getting any kind of discount on the renewal plan? Anybody know about anything like that?

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 04-11-2020 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
BTW, I know this is probably laughable, but is there any hope of getting any kind of discount on the renewal plan? Anybody know about anything like that?

Best,

mightyduck
sweetwater sometimes has discounts. I usually get it from them every year at 20% off I think.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Because that is what it is. It’s a subscription that you have to renew every year or you lose the upgrade and support feature.
Yeah, the problem is a customer may think like that while it is not good to talk about two different things with one name.

Subscription license only works as long a you pay for subscription. Updates naturally come available whenever they are released, no question about it.

Perpetual license will keep working even if you choose to not renew your support and update plan. But you obviously only get updates if you have active plan.

Therefore please people stop calling support and update plan a subscription, it only adds to confusion.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yeah, the problem is a customer may think like that while it is not good to talk about two different things with one name.

Subscription license only works as long a you pay for subscription. Updates naturally come available whenever they are released, no question about it.

Perpetual license will keep working even if you choose to not renew your support and update plan. But you obviously only get updates if you have active plan.

Therefore please people stop calling support and update plan a subscription, it only adds to confusion.
I understand what you are saying, and all that, but it [the "support and upgrade plan"] is what it is [a subscription to support and upgrades and plugins] even if its not the same as the subscription to the right to use the software at all.

And remember, the perpetual license without the annual support and upgrade plan / subscription is only perpetual if you are willing to forgo upgrading your computer's operating system.

Its not really us that are causing confusion with terminology, its AVID with their "plans". : )

Business as usual.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 04-16-2020, 07:42 AM

Well, I guess you pay for what you use..? Nobody complains you have a perpetual money pit when you get a new car out of the store.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:25 PM

On the subject of subscriptions and going slightly off topic...

I'm really falling in love with Studio One. Never thought I'd say this. Avid better buy Presonus or this gonna end dangerously lol Melodyne ready to edit anything instantly? Really? :O jaw dropping.

Honestly though, when you think about it, you have your subscription to pro tools, your Steven Slate sub, your waves sub, your east west sub e.t.c.

You'd be better off buying it all outright ???

Everyone's got their own integrated system these days, Presonus, Universal Audio, Cubase (somewhat) and they're all good daws!

Pro tools had the market cornered with near zero latency monitoring but thunderbolt (has) is changing this.

The biggest problem Avid will have in their life time is if the industry being, post and other hugely respected facilities, start moving away from pro tools and begin using other software such as UAD's Luna. But has it the reliability of Pro tools? It's only early days, lets see.

HDX is already being marketing with the Mac mini because the New Mac Pro can deal with thunderbolt latency and natively no issues. Yes it's been qualified with 3 HDX cards but well I don't think HDX will die just yet though. it's still probably got a bit more life left in it, say 1.5-3 years max?

Maybe we'll see the next generation Avid HDX-R which sees the power of three hdx cards rolled in to one! That would be VERY cool! Now to convince UAD and waves to make AAX DSP plugins once again!

At least UAD have made their PCIe card available for pro tools users who don't want their interfaces, but now you can use your own pad or other branded interface with PT HD alongside luna?

it's also clear avid and other companies for that matter rely heavily on their subscription model, as their hardware interfaces aren't particularly selling as well as they used to.

Yes these silly add ons like pro tools dock, and other control surfaces look good and probably work really well, but they don't add anything to the end result of your productions, they're just merely status symbols imo.

Again, quick bursts of cash for avid too where people may not have or better still are on the subscription model.

I think it's cool we have such huge choice right now.

Ok my tangent is over. You can go back to being good and using PT once again.