Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2020, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools has become a nightmare (Windows)

Keyscape has always been a bear on several Windows systems for me(but I sure do love the sound of it). My solution for that one is to use MiniGrand until the part is all tweaked. Then switch to KeyScape and commit the track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawili_Sound View Post
Hi

Win 10 2019.05 stable, Windows 2019.12 is very buggy for me on windows you are better off to roll back to a more stable version. Have you done all the optimisations especially the bios ones with the cpu. Windows and protools on windows after version 10 it has never been this good. I suggest if you are not a power user then you maybe better off with a Mac not to say you will not have problems but at least it is not modular like windows which means a lot of people and macs will have similar problems they can help you with. Windows there are literally billions of different systems you can make which speaks to windows amazing ability to reduce conflicts but all the same you can get them. There are many advantages to going windows over mac but if you cant trouble shoot your way to a stable system and keep it then you are better off with a Mac. Just saying. For me Windows 10 is killer.
Please, all you Mac users, stop talking about how more stable Mac platform is than Windows. There are infinitely more Mac threads about stability problems on this forum than Windows users. It's really not an option. Just because there are a few issues in this version of PT for Windows, doesn't make the Mac platform any better. It's not a Windows issue, it's an Avid development issue on Windows based machines (possible VST issues as well). These kinds of comments are poking barbs but since this is the new bar, I think I will go over to the Mac threads and tell them all to go to Windows if they are having problems. That should keep me busy for months.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Please, all you Mac users, stop talking about how more stable Mac platform is than Windows. There are infinitely more Mac threads about stability problems on this forum than Windows users. It's really not an option. Just because there are a few issues in this version of PT for Windows, doesn't make the Mac platform any better. It's not a Windows issue, it's an Avid development issue on Windows based machines (possible VST issues as well). These kinds of comments are poking barbs but since this is the new bar, I think I will go over to the Mac threads and tell them all to go to Windows if they are having problems. That should keep me busy for months.
+1. Mac vs Win = yawn... Win 10/PTools 2019.12 works for me.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:

It's not a Windows issue, it's an Avid development issue on Windows based machines (possible VST issues as well)
There are no VST in Pro Tools so thats an impossible development issue!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2020, 12:30 PM

Could be file corruption in the OS causing issues.

Go to command prompt, run as System Admin
Run System File Check

sfc /scannow

This will identify and correct any system file corruption.

After that is complete run the Pro Tools installer .msi in repair mode

See if that helps with your issues.

Mark
Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I merely stated that in my experience having used Pro Tools on both Mac and Windows platforms, I've had more stability using Pro Tools on Mac. There could be a million factors why that is so for me, but I know it isn't true for everyone. It also doesn't mean I don't have issues on Mac. It's just an observation I've had, not meant as an insult. I have 2 Mac computers and 2 Windows which work fine for what I need them to do.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
There are no VST in Pro Tools so thats an impossible development issue!
Apologies meant VIs but you can use bridge software to make VSTs work
Old 01-27-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Apologies meant VIs but you can use bridge software to make VSTs work
Very true but I get you meant VI as VST Wrappers and VST plugins might cause issues Avid has nothing to do with on both platformsz

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2020, 06:07 PM

Some interfaces Pro Tools will run, though very badly when the interface is still set in Windows as the the default playback devices. I have seen this fix quite a problem systems.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 PM

I don't want to fuel the mac/pc wars, but oddly enough I just built a PC to give windows a shot after years of repeated crashes on my last 3 mac machines (2009 Mac Pro, a 2013 Mac Pro, and then a 2019 8 core macbook pro). I figured if it fails, the kids get a killer gaming rig. It's been two months now, and I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this, but it has been the most stable rig I've ever had! I can't remember a workday without multiple crashes/freezes/cpu errors on my macs. On this PC I've had one crash while attempting to change the io setup when opening an old session, but otherwise it's been so good! I'm sure some update will screw it all up for me one day, but I can't imagine it being any worse than it was with my last few macs on a daily basis, and at least I'm getting things done without interruption for the moment. Also, if it does start crashing as frequently, at least it reboots and launches sessions a little bit quicker.

Only two downsides so far.

#1: No imessage! I'm having to use the ipad on my new s1 for messaging with clients/friends/family. Luckily the meters aren't really that important to me on there, and it seems like that's all the ipad does on the S1. And.... I'll probably just switch to a non apple phone for texting from the PC, but that's a whole different issue. It's not an easy transition when everyone in this business uses an iphone, and imessage holds your phone number hostage.

#2: Learning new key commands hasn't been fun. I've been using Pro tools on macs since the late 90's, and I'm definitely fumbling around some to find the right key combinations occasionally.

Last edited by thebeatless; 01-27-2020 at 10:44 PM.