Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2002, 10:00 AM

Default HFS or HFS+ >>>

I am about to buy the 800 MP mac, and was wondering:

If I have different partitions for MacOS 9.1 and X, how should I format them.
I might just stick to 9.1 right now, and use a separate partition for audio.

HFS or HFS+ ?

Cheers,

Andrew

800 Mhz MP
I GIG ram.
PT 5.1
Old 01-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Re: HFS or HFS+ >>>

hfs+
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 AM

DO NOT get a multiprocessor Mac if you're using it mostly for ProTools. I've got a MP533, and it's a headache. PTLE doesn't take advantage of the 2nd processor; in fact, if you leave that processor enabled, PTLE will run worse.

My suggestion: wait a week or two and get the 1 gigHz G4 (they're supposed to be out within a week or two).

I plan to upgrade to the new Macs soon.

Ted.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:25 PM

I am upgrading from the 450MP.
Loved it to bits, with no problems.
Got a 800MP for 2/3 of retail price (£2000), with 17 monitor added in.
Couldn't resist.
Last upgrade for a while, so when (or if) digi make it dual processor friendly, it will be the puppies privates!
Andrew
Old 01-23-2002, 05:23 PM

I just formatted an 80 gig IDE drive (4 partitions) with HFS+. There is nearly a 3 to 6 second delay before recording starts, but I assumed this was due to the IDE drive performance. Now I think this is the downside of HFS+. Time to reformat before I put more time into the drive....ugh!

What should the drives be formatted as, HFS (Mac OS standard) or HFS + (Mac OS extended)?

Either HFS or HFS + is supported in Pro Tools 5.0 and up. However, for compatibility with older versions of Pro Tools (prior to 5.0), drives should be formatted as HFS (Mac OS standard).
Due to the greater number of allocation blocks with HFS+, you will experience longer "prime times" when recording. In other words, you will experience a delay between the time you initiate recording and the time recording actually gets underway. Other than that, there is no perceivable difference in performance between HFS+ and HFS.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:
Here's some information that might be useful:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cf m?DID=3992
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The info in the Digi answerbase:
Old 01-23-2002, 05:24 PM

The info in the Digi answerbase:

What should the drives be formatted as, HFS (Mac OS standard) or HFS + (Mac OS extended)?
Either HFS or HFS + is supported in Pro Tools 5.0 and up. However, for compatibility with older versions of Pro Tools (prior to 5.0), drives should be formatted as HFS (Mac OS standard).
Due to the greater number of allocation blocks with HFS+, you will experience longer "prime times" when recording. In other words, you will experience a delay between the time you initiate recording and the time recording actually gets underway. Other than that, there is no perceivable difference in performance between HFS+ and HFS.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:19 PM

okay...the original question pertained to both an audio partition and partitions for OS9 and X...for the audio partition it appears to be debatable...but for the OS9 and OSX partitions you'll be better off with HFS+ (don't even consider the UFS format for OSX...i've heard it causes problems as it's case sensitive whereas both HFS and HFS+ are not).
Old 01-23-2002, 06:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by galaxiejer:
okay...the original question pertained to both an audio partition and partitions for OS9 and X...for the audio partition it appears to be debatable...but for the OS9 and OSX partitions you'll be better off with HFS+ (don't even consider the UFS format for OSX...i've heard it causes problems as it's case sensitive whereas both HFS and HFS+ are not).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you're indicating that you are putting an audio partition on the same drive as an os or 2, you're screwed. you only get to pick 1 format. go for hfs+.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by galaxiejer:
hfs+<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's debatable, and i'm still not convinced, either way. as a former pc user, i was led to believe that audio preferred larger blocks, hence the audio drive would perform better formatted at fat16, at the expense of hard drive space, of course. i believe it to be the same for hfs & hfs+. though software may be better designed at present to deal with shorter blocks to the point where this might not matter anymore, i doubt this changes my 1st supposition. if you do searches, you'll find testimonials on both sides. does anyone have the final answer to the question, as pertains to performance (& not drive startup time in hfs+)?

ml
Old 01-24-2002, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Here's some information that might be useful:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=3992