Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Default More Bugs with AIR VIs

I've discovered some bugs using some of the AIR VI's. I've reported these to AIR, but thought I'd mention here as I know a lot of PT users use the Air Instrument Expansion Pack as well.

I've discussed some of the issues with Structure 2.0.7 already in another thread.
In summary, the main 2 issues are:

1. No way to duplicate or copy a part layer when creating a patch. When you copy and then try to paste the samples from, say, Part 1 to a new part, Structure will present a window asking for the root directory where the samples are. Even if you bring up that directory, Structure will not recognize any of the samples as being present.

2. There is no way to re-name or edit the names of the Smart Knobs. This is really annoying when you want to create a patch with original samples and use the knobs in a specific way.

Both of these issues are true for AAX and VST versions of Structure. Both of these have been reported numerous times to AIR, and seem to be related to Windows 10, from what I've read. So, if anyone here is using the AIEP on anything other than Windows 10, could you test and report back if these functions are working for you with Structure?

Hybrid 3 has an issue in AAX only. If you're trying to create a patch from scratch, and you want to select a waveform from any for any of the 3 oscillators from the drop down menus, you can see the menus, but you can't select anything. It does work with Hybrid hosted as a VST in Patchwork, Reason or Reaper, but not in AAX mode. I suspect its related to Win-10 as well. Could someone else test this please?

Transfuser has issues when hosted as VST in Reason. The bottom section of the Transfuser screen is just blank space. I suspect this one is a Reason issue, buts its been reported to AIR as well.

Xpand2 seems cause Reason to crash when instantiated directly as VST in the Reason rack. It seems to work fine when hosted in Patchwork in the Reason rack, though. Most likely a Reason issue.

That's all I've discovered so far. It does appear that Win-10 is the main culprit for these issues. But it would be helpful if anyone else can confirm or test as well.

If anyone has discovered any other issues with the AIEP, please report it here as well. I've started sending bug reports to AIR on this stuff.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Re: More Bugs with AIR VIs

Thanks for posting - sorry about my delay replying (big gardening project).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
....1. No way to duplicate or copy a part layer when creating a patch. When you copy and then try to paste the samples from, say, Part 1 to a new part, Structure will present a window asking for the root directory where the samples are. Even if you bring up that directory, Structure will not recognize any of the samples as being present.
Same here.
I can copy and paste in the sample edit screen …. BUT … then I get the message:
“Choose Root Directory for 1 missing audio file”
I get the same message when I copy a part layer to duplicate it in the same patch.
Like you, I can't copy & paste a layer – the only thing I can do is copy & paste a Patch Part (see image).

Quote:
.... 2. There is no way to re-name or edit the names of the Smart Knobs. This is really annoying when you want to create a patch with original samples and use the knobs in a specific way.
Same here.
Normally, when you assign Filter Attack/Cutoff/Reverb Time/etc to a Smart Knob, its name is placed in the field above the blank Smart Knob (not happening here - I'm not seeing any words). We used to be able to double-click on the name to change it.

Quote:
Both of these have been reported numerous times to AIR, and seem to be related to Windows 10, from what I've read. So, if anyone here is using the AIEP on anything other than Windows 10, could you test and report back if these functions are working for you with Structure?

Both of these issues are true for AAX and VST versions of Structure. Both of these have been reported numerous times to AIR, and seem to be related to Windows 10, from what I've read. So, if anyone here is using the AIEP on anything other than Windows 10, could you test and report back if these functions are working for you with Structure?
I'm on Win7 64-bit SP1 – so this is not exclusive to Win10.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Hi Donald

Sent you a PM - more bugs

Cheers
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:24 AM

Reasons to be busy:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...onal-recording
Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
I've decided I'm holding off on this one for now. While the new instruments are nice, they're not in the "I can't live without these" category.

If they offer an update or upgrade that adds full MIDI functionality...allowing you to route MIDI from/to anything, using virtual cables on the back of the rack like you can with audio, then I'll jump for it. That, or allow VST hosting with Reason in slave mode. Either will do at this point!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Same here.
I can copy and paste in the sample edit screen …. BUT … then I get the message:
“Choose Root Directory for 1 missing audio file”
I get the same message when I copy a part layer to duplicate it in the same patch.
Like you, I can't copy & paste a layer – the only thing I can do is copy & paste a Patch Part (see image).
So, if you copy a part, a sample set in a patch, can you paste it in the same patch to double the sample layer, so instead of 1 part with the sample set, you have 2 with the same sample set. That's what I'm talking about. There's no way to do it. When I select "Paste" , I get a pop up window asking me to select the root folder that holds the samples, and even when I select it, nothing happens. It will not allow me to copy and paste the part. And there's no menu option called "duplicate part", which there should be. I've reported all this to AIR.

Quote:
Same here. Normally, when you assign Filter Attack/Cutoff/Reverb Time/etc to a Smart Knob, its name is placed in the field above the blank Smart Knob (not happening here - I'm not seeing any words). We used to be able to double-click on the name to change it.

I'm on Win7 64-bit SP1 – so this is not exclusive to Win10.
Well, that's interesting. A couple of discussion threads on the AIR Community page seemed to suggest that it was a problem that cropped up in Win-10. But, if you're having the same issue with Win-7, then perhaps its an issue with Structure 2.0.x directly. Whatever the case, it needs to be fixed. As you know, there are several controls with the same name like "Mix" or "level". If you can't rename the knob, how the heck do you remember if its the reverb mix, or delay mix, or chorus mix, etc.

What I don't understand is why was that functionality ever taken away in the first place. It was something that was always there.