Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Default Does PT Express 12 require different authorization?

I bought my Mbox along with the PT bundle back in 2013.
Got my iLok and everything working fine on my Mac back then.
Due to moving and stuff, I stopped using my equipment since late 2015 and just found out that my Mac can no longer recognize Mbox as a sound input. Now I switched to the new MacBook Pro and trying to download the driver and PT Express. I managed to download the driver but I can't find anything that is compatible with my Mac. The only installer in "my account" under "my products and subscription" is for 10.3.4 and it said it's not compatible with my system (Sierra 10.12.5).
I checked my iLok and it shows that I'm authorized for Pro Tool Express and the expiration date is "never".
So in this case, does it mean I have to pay for extra authorization to download PT 12 system? And if I don't pay the extra $$$ I will never be able to use my Mbox anymore?
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Does PT Express 12 require different authorization?

There is no such think as Pro Tool Express 12.

Pro Tools Express stopped being supported years ago, and there is no way to run the old software on Sierra.

Pro Tools First is the rough replacement, it's "free" but crippled, for example can't read current Pro Tool sessions. There are lots of choices of other low-cost DAWs.

Pro Tools 12 is ~$700 (plus an annual support/upgrade fee) or available to rent annually or monthly.

All this information is on Avid's website, or even better call a dealer like Sweetwater. I beleve you can upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $299.... call Sweetwater sales to check.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:43 AM

So that means I can't use my Mbox anymore?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:45 AM

No, you can use your Mbox, or you can buy any other interface you want. All this software now works with any interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM

But as with any other interface you do need to make sure there are drivers for the interface supported on your OS. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...d/Mbox-Drivers

Not a High Sierra officially supported release yet, not sure if it works or not, you will have to try if on High Sierra.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM

oh okay thanks! I actually downloaded the newest driver that should be compatible for 10.12.5 (not a High Sierra) but my Mac still won't recognize Mobx as an input.
What are some of the reasons behind it?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 PM

You just downloaded or did you also install the driver? See how clear info helps? Is the version of the driver loaded match what you think you installed (driver control utility if there is one... or use the kextstat command line utility and look for Avid or Digidesign? drivers)

What *exactly* do you mean by “Mac won’t recognize Mbox as input”? forget Pro Tools, does the Mbox show up in Audio/MIDI settings?

Lots of possible reasons for interface issues, but I am not going to waste time here guessing. Start at “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page. Try standard troubleshooting steps documented there including different cables, ports, unplugging all other peripherals etc. If you still have problems report back here with the expected detailed information about your system and exactly what you have tried.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Hey so yes I installed the driver.
But down at the Mox control panel it says Hardware not connected even though i have it connected through usb.
I don't see Mbox showing up in Audio/MIDI setting or sound input in system preference.
but everything worked fine before with my previous mac air, before I updated to Sierra.
But since i've moved, I'm guessing it could be sth wrong with the cable.
Thanks for the suggestions tho!