Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Input gain uneven

I am running MBOX Pro with Imac..both are new. All systems are go but have an issue that seem odd...

When I have a Microphone into any input there seems to be very little gain control and gain is low until input control for that channel is almost at full (9/10) or between 4 o'clock and 5'o'clock visually. When volume knob is turned way up high the volume of input signal jumps and is very hot. I have tried 3 different microphones both powered and passive and the same thing happens.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Input gain uneven

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am running MBOX Pro with Imac..both are new. All systems are go but have an issue that seem odd...

When I have a Microphone into any input there seems to be very little gain control and gain is low until input control for that channel is almost at full (9/10) or between 4 o'clock and 5'o'clock visually. When volume knob is turned way up high the volume of input signal jumps and is very hot. I have tried 3 different microphones both powered and passive and the same thing happens.
Hi,

Just checking but are you using microphone cables with XLR connections? and NOT using cables with 1/4 inch jack connections?

Obviouisly the 2 mic inputs on the front are combination sockets with both mic and line inputs. If you use the jack-line inputs it will be line level! you must use the XLR-mic inputs which have pre-amps for microphones.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Input gain uneven

This is a known problem. My mbox pro & mbox both do the same thing. This is an incorrect taper on the pots Avid used to build these things. You aren't doing anything wrong.

EDIT: I looked around and found this discussion. It shows how you can fix this if you want to without installing new pots. Scroll down about half way too "Which leads us to tapering."

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...s/potscret.htm

I will also perhaps save you some time if you are concerned about the mbox3/mbox3 pro gains. Yes, they are wrong. If this is a problem for you, search around on this and other forums. It, like the taper problem has already been discussed.

These problems are irritating, but shouldn't bother you too much. The electronics in the mbox 3 & mbox 3 pro are really excellent. They just made some dumb mistakes in the design. You can make excellent quality recordings with these boxes. I have been using both (and an 11R) for years.

Last edited by Pinball Wizard; 04-03-2013 at 09:21 AM.