Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-22-2002, 09:47 PM

Default Re: FireWire drives... less storage than advertised...?

Also formatting the drive itself will take away a bit of space. So first you have to do math to subtract some, and then shave a bit more off for the actual formatting.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:08 AM

Default FireWire drives... less storage than advertised...?

Hello,

Please excuse any computer ignorance on my behalf.

I had bought a 120 GB EZ Quest firewire drive a while back... I formatted it and loaded it with data. The Mac general info thing says that the drive has only 115 GB of total storage capacity. I just got another EZ Quest firewire drive, formatted it the same way, and the Mac general info thing says that the drive has a capacity of only 112 GB... (there is no data on this drive yet). Is this normal? Why do these drives apparently only have 115 or 112 GB of storage when they are advertised as 120 GB? 8 GB is a lot of capacity to lose... that's a whole session right there. Also, why does each drive have a different amount of total capacity? Might one be damaged? Or do all drives have varying amounts of storage capacity? Both drives were formatted as Mac OS Extended using the included ez quest speed tools software... no partitions... but of course I disabled the Speed Tools extensions after formatting so that Pro Tools will run off the EZ Quest drives. Both drives seem to work fine and Pro tools sessions run on them nicely. Just wondering about the total storage capacity issue... wanna make sure my drives are ok.

Thanks - imp
Old 10-23-2002, 12:29 AM

Your drives are fine .
You are the latest victim in the marketing speak that has affected drive size ads. 1 million bytes = 1 megabyte, when its 1,024,000 bytes = 1MB. So you seem to lose a few bytes for every 1000.
This gimmick is similar to monitor sizes that are advertised as 19" then in the fine print say (17.9" viewable).

Sorry I had to be the one to break it to you. At least now you know.

the 'slide

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2002, 08:57 AM

use MAC OS extended to format the drives. THis will optimize the space,
Still, you will loos a few gb on a 100gb+ drive. ITs just the way it is.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:09 AM

I thought that was because of the the alocation table that is built into the drive and written to when you fill the drive with data. When you delete something off of your drive you arent actually deleting all of the bites on your drive, just the allocation table that points to that part of your drive. thats why it is so fast to delete, and why you are missing space.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:58 AM

Just to chime in real quick. Also the space is not completely freed until you empty the trash.

regards,