Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Default It's simple: don't upgrade.

We're almost all pissed about the upgrade costs, right? Well, we have some power here. If we all complain but drop our money anyway, they've gotten away with gouging their users. But if we hold tight, en masse, and they see that we're just not biting, they'll have to lower their prices.

I mean, who, right now, has tons of extra money lying around? What are they thinking?

9.0.5 is working well for me (except for the dumb play/pause thing) & I'll stick with it until the $150 upgrade that I'm willing to pay. Who's with me?

~peter in oakland
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Default Re: It's simple: don't upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
We're almost all pissed about the upgrade costs, right? Well, we have some power here. If we all complain but drop our money anyway, they've gotten away with gouging their users. But if we hold tight, en masse, and they see that we're just not biting, they'll have to lower their prices.

I mean, who, right now, has tons of extra money lying around? What are they thinking?

9.0.5 is working well for me (except for the dumb play/pause thing) & I'll stick with it until the $150 upgrade that I'm willing to pay. Who's with me?

~peter in oakland
+1
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM

I would think that just the real big time studios upgrade now -- but even there they probably know not to jump into a embryonic release. For the rest of us -- the majority-- I say boycott PT10 HD or switch to Logic.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM

AVID READ THIS...
AVID READ THIS...
AVID READ THIS...

Of all the post here regarding pt10 (and I've read every one of them) this one seems to make the most since. I was about to make the move and spend the money, but after reading all these heart felt user postings, I have only seen a few replies from Avid. Clearly Avid is pushing the audio crowd to the back of the bus. This is the first obvious step in that direction. No replies, just silence as a hand full of users chime in and Avid remains quite.

One would think that a company could step up and make a few comments pro or con, but nope just silences and eventually we will fade out. Once Avid took over digidesign, I suspected the audio customer base was being, perhaps not kicked out of the party, but certainly being handed their hats.

What is confusing is you can't sell that many high end video production units around the world and sustain a profit year after year without subsidizing with the audio products, but perhaps they can . I picked pro tools 10 years ago and have never even tried any other product because they were the leaders and I was already using Avid video production software so it seem like the right path.

Avid show mission statement, step up and make an announcement and address these concerns. Your the leader is this field, earn that role and show your painfully faithful customers your concerned about them and do the right thing. Until then, am not spending a cent on any pt products or supporting plug in, or third party pro tools compatible products.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM

I love reaper

Windows XP service pack 3, PTLE 7.3.1
OWC Mercury Elite Al Pro external HD
MBox2
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
We're almost all pissed about the upgrade costs, right?
Nope.
Quote:
Well, we have some power here. If we all complain but drop our money anyway, they've gotten away with gouging their users. But if we hold tight, en masse, and they see that we're just not biting, they'll have to lower their prices.
I wouldn't bet on it.
Quote:
Plenty of us, if the Avid store being down the other day due to so much traffic was any indication.
Quote:
Sorry, already using PT10. It's a really good release, and well worth the price of admission, IMO. I honestly don't understand all the hubbub... just because their upgrade pricing has been one way in the past isn't a very compelling reason to get all up in arms about it not being that way this time.

I do agree with your basic premise though: if you think it's more money than it's worth, don't buy. Simple indeed.

Anyway, I've got work to do. Cheers. :)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM

I have to agree, I'm definately not popping for the $500 to jump from LE to 10. No, I am not a 'professional'. I am a musician with a home studio, who has been buying most of the upgrades for many years from Audiomedia III thru 002Rack. I was really planning on getting PT9, even though it seemed steep, but then 10 popped up. I have been happy with my Pro Tools products and support in the past, such that I recommend them and looked forward to upgrading to new products.
But this 'transition' to 'pro' pricing, is leaving me behind. And, yes, economic conditions are a factor. All this in the context of improved competition and 'open' platforms. Really, I don't NEED the upgrade, just always nice to get the latest. But that was at the $150 price range. $500 has me looking at other options, which really, offer a lot more, considering I keep my 'old' version of PT, which works fine. I am motivated to explore alternatives at this point.
Avid can decide if dumping the considerable number of 'hobyists' who operate on a tighter budget is worth the increased profit from their more committed 'pro' users who a willing and able to pay the premium price. Sometimes you can make more selling more units for less than a few for more. Let accounting run the numbers. That is their decision, but this pricing has me looking seriously at the competition. And, later, when I am ready for a full system replacement, these kind of upgrade policies will have me think again about buying into the ProTools program. Things are changin', and I am not sure if it is for the better. Keeping the 'little guys' on board is a way to develop customers of the future and maintain a strong presence in the musician community. Shutting them out makes Avid nothing, and could lose them more than they realize, as people like me start sending their money to some interesting competing products I have been curious about.
So, no, I am pretty much done with PT upgrades for my 002 rack. And I am rather less committed to moving up with ProTools in the future.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM

On the money a.beck. I am pretty ashamed to call myself a protools user this week... not due to the actions of AVID but the ridiculous attitudes of the majority of the protools user group.

I won't work for free. I certainly don't expect AVID to either. They have just released an entirely new system that is moving towards a brighter, 64bit based future and included some really ground breaking features with it as well... and they have managed to include legacy hardware (HD) users in one last update along with promising 5 years of continued support and repairs for them.

They is a pretty damn righteous deal if you ask me!! A brighter future for all... with the option to postpone it for 5 years due to monetary constraints.

Just to outline how unreasonable your point really is... WHO DOES HAVE EXTRA MONEY LYING AROUND??? What the heck makes you think it is AVID?? A major update to the underlying audio processing engine, a new plugin format & new DSP hardware doesn't just materialise at no cost. Anyone with any knowledge about computer programming would realise that it is a pretty major f&%king undertaking.

...and here you are trying to make a point that you are being hard done by because you have to pay money for a product? Please! You should be feeling embarrassed for yourselves. You don't have to buy it... but trying to launch some kind of crusade on prices to suit your own wallet is quite pathetic.

It really isn't AVID's problem if you can't afford it.

Hopefully this thins the herd a little. No more amateur studios running "the industry standard"...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM

So if you guys dropped $5K+ a month ago on a HD Native Omni bundle you'd be okay spending another $1k now to stay current?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
So if you guys dropped $5K+ a month ago on a HD Native Omni bundle you'd be okay spending another $1k now to stay current?
They won't answer you, they're too busy being whipped up & excited to scream "good riddance" to the non-pro crowd's legitimate gripes.

Basketcase: "Thin the herd...". Hmmm, indeed. So this is the community & user base now: all pros, HD, and post people in pro shops who would be happy to let an entire market segment die off as PT9 sunsets in a couple years....nice.

So, AVID, do you guys agree with those posts a couple above mine? Is Avid content to have heavy-handed defenders show the home studio crowd the door?? Many will be waiting/watching what you do & say over the coming days I'm sure....

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."