Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Network Based Storage

Has anyone determined, or tried with repeatable results, operating session files from a network based storage device? Digi hasn't qualified any network style hard drives, but from what I understand, that just means it hasn't been tried in a laboratory style setting.

A small scale example of this would be a single computer (Mac in this case) and 1 to 5 drives residing on a (local) TCP/IP network.

A large scale example of this would be multiple LE workstations accessing a large array of (local) TCP/IP network based storage devices for education purposes.

Thoughts? Experiences? Words of caution or insight?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Network Based Storage

look at iSCSI

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Not sure if NAS drives will be as reliable, but I've been using audioport to stream samples from my slave PC's, I've had no trouble streaming 32 tracks from each of my 2 slaves(64 tracks total @ 48k) on gigabit ethernet. There is plenty of bandwidth for high track counts on gigabit networks, the question is more of if the software you're using can use it reliably, and if the NAS drive itself might have any bottlenecks.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM

My WD Worldbook edition is pretty slow so I would not consider it for audio, only for backup.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 04:54 AM

FreeNAS is an embedded open source NAS (Network-Attached Storage) distribution based on FreeBSD, supporting the following protocols: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, TFTP, AFP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI (initiator and target) and UPnP
http://freenas.org/freenas
m1active 520 & sub gw s750, deq230, cx2310
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM

we successfully use this
http://dynamicdrivepool.com/
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSound View Post
Has anyone determined, or tried with repeatable results, operating session files from a network based storage device?
I work with a company that has been providing shared storage for Pro Tools users for over ten years. There are both Fibre Channel and iSCSI solutions in use in professional production environments all over the world.

Check out http://www.studionetworksolutions.co...FVk65QodlkG-ZA

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Depending on your budget, there's a number of different options available to you. You could run Fiber Channels, and a SAN, you could run a custom Linux Server to create an iSCSI target and use gigabit to move your data, or you could use a NAS that is iSCSI capable.

Fiber channels are very fast and very stable, but very expensive. A custom Linux solution running iSCSI is a cheaper and still fast option, plus it's highly scalable. The NAS is the cheapest, and slowest option, and is limited in scalability. A SAN network has been something I've been looking at for a while to integrate all things in my studio.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM

What about these storage boxes made by infortend? (I think I spelled it correctly, not sure though) These seem to be the boxes that many vendors are repackaging and selling. Anyone know if it is possible to purchase one of these things and expect it to get up and running without a lot of hassle? I'm very much a DIY guy, but I don't really want to get in over my head.

Any more tips?

Thanks,

Mike