Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Default External USB 3.0 Interfaces on MacBook Pro..?

Hi there,

I've been getting some help from a recording mentor of mine, and he's suggested an external drive so as not to fragment my hard drive.

I've heard that USB drives *used* to be problematic, but that he's been using USB 3.0 drives as of late with absolutely no problems.

I'm interested in purchasing one, and I just want to know if that seems like a good idea.

In the specifications for PRO TOOLS 12 HD (Which is the one I am going to be running), I couldn't find any details on this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Re: External USB 3.0 Interfaces on MacBook Pro..?

USB 3 can work
both the computer and the drives case/bridge-board need to be USB 3 and the drive in the case need to be up to spec (a lot of off the self options stick "green" drives in their cases and "green" drives don't work"

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 PM

Alright. I've got a brand new MacBook Pro that I purchased just a few days ago, so it should be able to work 3.0 USB devices, however the external drive that I'm looking at is a Glyph Black Box 500 GB External Drive.

Does this seem like it should be compatible with the MacBook?

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM

Glyph has been a trustworthy company should be fine

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Alright. I've got a brand new MacBook Pro that I purchased just a few days ago, so it should be able to work 3.0 USB devices, however the external drive that I'm looking at is a Glyph Black Box 500 GB External Drive.

Does this seem like it should be compatible with the MacBook?

Thanks again.
As mentioned by Craig Glyph drives in general have worked well with PT in the past but I have seen that the Black Box is a 5400rpm drive only.
Even though USB 3 is pretty fast, Pro Tools wants a 7200rpm HDD to work as it is supposed to at least, SSDs are even better. 5400rpm drives
actually are not qualified for Pro Tools audio.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlackBox1TB

May I suggest you 2 alternatives.
1) the most affordable yet Pro Tools-ready and proven external solution. A 7200rpm HDD in an external USB 3 enclosure. Put this one
http://www.amazon.com/Black-750GB-Pe...ital+black+2.5
into such a one
http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inat...+enclosure+2.5
and you will have not only a very fast (for a mechanical drive), PT-ready solution but also a very small, light weighted external drive compared
to the Black Box. For about only $80.- all together.

2) the fastest, quietest yet affordable external solution. A good quality, modern SATA SSD in an external USB 3 enclosure. Put this one
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...amsung+850+Evo
into such a one again
http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inat...+enclosure+2.5
and you will have a super light weighted, super fast, modern Pro Tools audio drive. I use such a one with my Late 2014 15" Macbook Pro and
there is absolutely no noise in the room while this Baby is running with 408mb/s Write, 420mb/s Read speed via USB 3.
And this all for only $180.- (500GB). Itīs really cool stuff.

Because you obviously have got a brand new Macbook Pro you should get the external SSD (variant 2) so this will match your cool modern computer.
Btw theoretically with those new Apple Flash drives in those new Macbooks Pro you even donīt need any separate drive for Pro Tools anymore as those
are so blazingly fast that they can handle Pro Tools audio with ease now.

Particularly if you would have got the 1TB Flash drive in your Macbook you definitely do not need to use any external anymore. Itīs tested and proven
by many pros here that it does work flawlessly with those new internal Apple Flash drives only.

Anyway. Itīs up to you of course which variant to choose. Just skip the 5400rpm drive. It will be ok for backups but it ainīt that good for Pro Tools audio
at the end of the day.

All the best to you!