Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Help..Native Card with Lynx Aurora Converters

Anytime i switch the sample rate or close a session thats say 44.1 and then open a session thats 48k or 192 etc etc i got an error saying " protools has detected the number of peripherals connected to the native card has changed ( when indeed this hasn't happend) please check the connections and restart protools" This happens every time. I must restart protools every time i open a session with a different sample rate. running all the latest firmware, drivers, OS etc etc. did the usual troubleshooting and also some shouting at my computer ( i don't think that helped)

I'm on a mac pro 8 core, running 10.6.8 protools hd 9.0.5

Avid Native Card ( which i just bought) Lynx Aurora 16 ( with LT-hD card)

Anyone help would be much appreciated . Troubleshooted this on my own and was stumped and also called up Lynx and Avid. They also were stumped.

Anyone else here running a similar setup? and running into these issues? i'm about to return the native card but would love to keep it as i like having hd software without the accel cards that i don't need for what i do.

thanks!

ps there is also another error that happend twice with this native card " could not complete the open session...command because end of stream "encountered"
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Help..Native Card with Lynx Aurora Converters

I've got exactly the same problems

8core Macpro
i'm not sure but i think 10.6.7, Protools HD 9.0.3
AVID HD|Native card
2x Lynx Aurora 16
Restarting Protools mostly solves the problem, sometimes i have to restart Protools 2 or more times..... annoying!!!

The "end of stream" error did occur once. The session couldn't be opened anymore afterwards......

AVID, please solve this problem!!!!

regards
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Unfortunately, the Aurora isn't really compatible with HD Native. You would have better luck using one of the new Avid converters.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
Unfortunately, the Aurora isn't really compatible with HD Native. You would have better luck using one of the new Avid converters.
Thanks for posting. I'm told lynx is working on a fix. It appears avid changed the connection on the native card ( from what it was on the hd cards) alot of dealers have no clue there is even an issue.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm on my way to grabbing an HD Native card and was considering the same Lynx converter. Has this issue been resolved? Furthermore, has anyone compared the converters on the Lynx to an Avid Omni or 8x8x8? Is it worthwhile to deal with these compatibility issues?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_grimmace View Post
I'm on my way to grabbing an HD Native card and was considering the same Lynx converter. Has this issue been resolved? Furthermore, has anyone compared the converters on the Lynx to an Avid Omni or 8x8x8? Is it worthwhile to deal with these compatibility issues?

there arent any 3rd party interfaces working with hd native . i returned mine months ago
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantelis View Post
there arent any 3rd party interfaces working with hd native . i returned mine months ago
Some guys over on the GS board seem to disagree.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-t...hd-native.html

The Lynx website claims HD Native compatibility as well. That being said, a lot of people are also claiming that the AD converters in the Avid HD i/o's are a big improvement and perhaps a step above apogee and lynx, although it's certainly all subjective at this point.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Having owned both, and I can personally attest that the HD IO is a superior converter box to the Aurora. Much more natural and not as harsh in the high end. The best part is that it's been engineered to work perfectly with the Native card, so you don't have to worry about incompatibility.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM

I am in the midst of this very problem. the error message "pro tools has detected the number of peripherals has changed, quit or save". keeps coming up and has impeded on my work flow to put mildly. I had an HD i/O box initially (bought the whole PT 10 HD native package) I had to exchange the HD I/O box for the Lynx because I do a lot of acoustic instrument overdubs in the same room as the converter/ rack gear etc. and the HD box had too much fan noise. Had I known there would be this problem..... anyway I'm quite content wit Lynx but this message is a pain in the arse and actually kicked me out of record once! Lynx is asking me to update the firmware. trashing the Pro Tools Prefs did not help this problem. I'm wondering if I should have the Lynx firewire converter and forget about this Native card? any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Just bumping all these threads with the solution that works for me:

change to the 32 bit kernel: open terminal and copy paste this:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

enter your password and reboot.

Pretty lame that avid is eol'ing stuff because of forthcoming 64bit PT, but their own drivers suck with a 64bit kernel. BTW digi midi (Eol'd), works better under 64 bit kernel IME, than any other digi hardware (which IME is TDM, and hd|N and HD via core audio).