Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Sod it buying a Mac now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
This one any good???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202075464831

I’ll increase the RAM though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking for a cheese grater I would probably go with these guys:
https://create.pro
Old 10-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Considering you want to spend penny's on a replacement machine that is 10 years old, I would look into why your current machine is having problems. Windows can be absolutely stable. If its not, there is a problem that is causing it. I saw you mention SSD4 on another thread. It is an absolute crashing disaster. For instance on even simple things like recalling presets through the PT librarian, you HAVE to use the SSD preset manager. There are 3-4 other things that will crash it. I am blown away when I see Slate defend this plugin on forums and when you approach him with details, he just never responds.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM

My stability issues always happen infront of clients it’s embarrassing. One of the things that happens regularly is when I import session data to a blank session it gives me insufficient system resources most times. When I close a session and then open another this is where my problems mostly begin. It’s like pro tools is not releasing from the system properly. Last night a band were recording guitars we went on to the next session and bang issues after issue when trying to open it. Took me 45 mins to get it up and running properly all optimisations have been done that avid recommend. SSD4 has never crashed my machine. I just want something that is solid and I know is going to work all the time every time

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM

I just noticed in your signature that you have 12GB of RAM. Is your motherboard capable of running in triple-channel mode? If so and you have 3 x 4GB modules, you should be OK. But if you aren't running in triple-channel mode, that could cause issues. Was all of the RAM purchased in a kit? Mix and matching RAM, even the same make and model can cause stability issues.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM

I’m sure it can run in Triple channel mode the guy who built my PC sorted the RAM and it was all new and came in a pack together

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Ya, I just checked. The motherboard is capable of Triple Channel mode. Use CPU-Z (SPD tab) to verify the RAM meets the specs the motherboard specifies. Here is the link I found:

https://www.cnet.com/products/superm...-series/specs/

Use the Memory tab in CPU-Z to verify it is running in triple channel mode. Sometimes this is automatic, other times it needs to be selected in the BIOS.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM

I don’t think it’s a RAM issue, but I’m no expert in computers. I wonder if it’s bottlenecking from the chassis to the PC. Sometimes I’ll shut pro tools down then go and open it again and it says PT did not shut down correctly last time. The only way to sort it is a restart of the PC. It’s like something is keeping it active/running.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Probably not a RAM issue, IF you verified the ram is compatible with the Motherboard spec's.

If PT sometimes doesn't shut down correctly, that is a problem, and not normal. In fact I don't think I have ever seen that message on my PT rig. You could try looking in your Windows Event Log the next time it happens and it may give you a clue, but sometimes the event logs are not easy to interpret.

As Guitardom stated above, Windows PT rigs can absolutely be stable, IF all of the optimizations are done correctly. I had to go through the list several times to get everything right.

You may try a clean install of PT, to see if that helps solve the problem.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Sod it buying a Mac now

Tried a clean install many a time but always the same.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 AM

Hi,

Back in the hay day of PT10 and the TDM period the amount of Mac users compared to PC users was 10 fold. Your running a system that the vast majority of users had macs as their choice of Computer. Go Mac and don't look back

Use your PC for web/email/facebook/printing and all the other non Pro Tools stuff you need to do. keep your Mac dedicated to a pro recording machine.

Never needed an SDD drive either for my PT rig! spinners work fine and cost less if saving a few minutes boot up time is that important? well go for SDD. save some money and buy more ram!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.