Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Best way to prepare hard drive for a clean system install on new G4/933?

Hi all,

I am finally upgrading my aging first-generation G4/400 to a shiny new QuickSilver 933Mhz model. Since the 933 is shipped with a 60MB internal drive, I plan to wipe the drive clean of it's pre-installed software first so I can partition it. Then I plan to reinstall MacOS 9.2.2 to run Pro Tools and my other apps (I will not be re-installing MacOS X, as I really have no need for it at this time).

My question is: If I use the standard Apple HD Setup program that ships with MacOS 9.2.2 to initialize the drive, will it also remove all of the hidden MacOS X data from the drive?

Also, do I need to do a low-level format to ensure the OS X data is removed? Or will the typical quick initialization do the trick?

Any advice on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Old 04-09-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Best way to prepare hard drive for a clean system install on new G4/933?

That might work... but I'd suggest pulling the hard drive out of the old g4/400 and sticking it in the new G4 on the second ATA bus (room for 2 drives). This might be a way to minimalize your upgrade hell time. I did it when I went from my g4/400 to the g4/533 (needed extra slot) and I plan to do it again when I switch to the G6/2533 (next month).
Old 04-09-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Best way to prepare hard drive for a clean system install on new G4/933?

Just boot from the CD that comes with the new mac - initialize the drive with drive setup (you don't have to do a low level). I like to initialize it twice (just my personal vodoo). Make sure you update the drivers with the drive setup on the OS 9.2.2 install disk and you're good to go.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digi-Slime-NYC:
That might work... but I'd suggest pulling the hard drive out of the old g4/400 and sticking it in the new G4 on the second ATA bus (room for 2 drives). This might be a way to minimalize your upgrade hell time. I did it when I went from my g4/400 to the g4/533 (needed extra slot) and I plan to do it again when I switch to the G6/2533 (next month).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drawback with this method is that you do not get the latest Mac OS files that are specific to your new computer. You then have to do a system install, so you might as well have done this in the first place. OK, so it might save you having to reauthorize plugs, but if they are Challenge/Response type authorizations they probably won't work on your new Mac hardware anyway. So by the time you have sorted out what does and doesn't work it would probably have been quicker and more accurate to do it properly in the first place.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:31 PM

I agree with Tweakhead. That's just what I plan to do.

Thanks to all who responded.

Alan