Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Can't use my M-Audio interface with 11R?

I've been using my M-Audio Firewire 410 with Sonar for a few years. When I plug the 11R in the 410 is no longer available. Looking in Sonar's Audio section 11R is selected, the 410 is listed but grayed out so I can't do anything with it. Is it just not possible to use the two together, am I doing something wrong and why would Sonar choose 11R over the 410? I assumed I could route the output of my DAW to the 410 which is connected to my speakers so I could play my guitar through the 11R to record a track yet monitor it through the 410.

Would I be better off to not use the 11R USB connection and just use a digital out into my 410 to record? Sorry for all the noobish questions.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Can't use my M-Audio interface with 11R?

Don't know much about Sonar but it's anything like PT you can only use one interface at a time. Which M-Audio interface is it? You might not need the M-Audio for much anymore as the 11R is a pretty good I/O in its' own right.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Can't use my M-Audio interface with 11R?

I used to have the same issue with Sonar and my Presonus FP10 and my Line 6 Pod XT Pro. I was using the FP10 as my interface and the Pod for my guitar tones. I had the usb connected to the Pod so i could use the GUI to manage my presets and graphically control all my settings from my Pod while i was recording. (So i could click on icons to manage my Pod sounds instead of dealing with the small lcd display and turning knobs). If the Pod was on when i loaded Sonar it would override the Presonus and use the Pod for the sound card, screwing up all my I/O in all my sessions.

To fix this i just made sure to turn the Pod on AFTER Sonar was up and running. I would suggest doing the same, try having your M-audio interface already on and Sonar already loaded and up and running before turning the 11R on. That should do the trick. However theres really no need to have the usb connected to the 11R since there is no standalone editor mode and Sonar wont embed any 11R settings in the tracks.

I would just connect the line outs of the 11R into your M-audio interface, or use the spdif if it has it. This way your M-audio will still remain as your main interface.

As far as using both of them at the same time, im not sure, but i guess its not possible...internal clocking issues most likely.

Hope this helps