Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 05:42 PM

Default What should i invest in next?

So far my studio consists of:
Digi 001
Digimax LT
2 Oktava MC012's
Studio Projects C1
4 Sm57's
1 Beta 58

Bass Pod 2.0
Guitar Pod 2.0

Alesis MkMk2 monitors

I know you guys get posts like this frequently and sorry if it's annoying, but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?
Im pretty happy with the sound im getting too. Anyone know if that studio foam auralex stuff is worth buying?
Should I save up for a nuemann vocal mic?
thanks in advance
-shawn
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: What should i invest in next?

Quote:
Anyone know if that studio foam auralex stuff is worth buying?
Should I save up for a nuemann vocal mic?

Do not buy Auralex! Major waste of money. Go to www.foambymail.com
They have the best prices that I have ever seen and the foam is awesome.
Otherwise, it sounds like you have a great start. How about a headphone amp? You can always use one of those. Do you have enough cables and connectors? Do you record any MIDI? If so, get a synth. Also, I invested the money and bought some waves plugins. They are worth every penny!

Other than that, I could go on forever about what you could get. Think about what you need the most, NOT what you want just because you have money to spend. What do you need to make your next session that much easier?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:02 PM

Definitely more mics. Which ones depends greatly on what type of voices/instruments you deal with most. For vocals I don't recommend jumping right into a Neumann since it won't be appropriate for every singer. The way budget mics are performing these days, it's definitely better to have 3 different mics than one superb mic. For example you could get a Rode NTK and AT4050 for less than the cost of a Neumann TLM-103, and between those two and the SP C1 you're covering a lot of bases. Might consider a third small diaphram condenser too, for when you need a mic on the hats. I'd also recommend a MD421 or two to round out your dynamics. I usually use a tube mic like an NTK or CAD M9 on the kick, so I don't recommend a dedicated kick mic, but others probably will. Just not an AKG D112, they make all kicks sound the same.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:09 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

I am in the same boat, but I think I have some advice that may help. One of the things that made the biggest difference in my recording (believe it or not) was the URS N12 EQ; I don't know if it would be worth $300 though. If I where you, I would spend my money on high quality instruments. You have an adequate amount of decent mics and the such. The Neumann TLM103 I really like, but I don't record vox that much so it doesn't get as much use as my AKG 414 B-ULS.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:46 PM

You make no mention that you actually need anything. It's hard to recommend what you should buy when we have no idea what you need. There's lots of stuff out there I would like to have, but I don't necessarily need to have it. You even admit being "happy with the sound you're getting" but you left us hanging, you don't say what it is you would like to improve on, besides your enquiry of Auralex pads.

Furthermore, what do you do with what you have? Is it a bedroom studio, basement, commercial, do you record bands, do you record your band, do you mostly record on your own or with a friend, what kind of music do you do, what are you striving for, where are the weak links in your studio at the moment?

Should you save for a Neumann? Well I don't know, do you need a Neumann? You already have 8 microphones and a not-too-bad preamp with not-too-bad monitors and I would guess that your room acoustics are not-too-bad either. I would say get a Neumann the day you can afford a better front end all-around (ie: a 1272 or a UA 610 pre + better converters, etc.). Based on what you say, I would guess a high-end mic is the last thing you need. I would say treat your room if it needs it, then get better converters. You can always side-grade the latter, as in sell the Digi001 and spring for a Digi002, until you can afford some Apogee or Benchmark stuff.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but try and see it from this side of the lens, if you give us more info, we can help you buy the right things, as it's far too easy these days to buy gear you only think you need.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:19 PM

hey thanks for all the advice so far.
you don't sound harsh either pk, you made sense.

I record local bands as a business with what I have . I have done about 15 to date. Now that I have thought stuff over I think i might want to put some foam up in my room because it has a bit of echo to it. The only problem is I have no idea where to start. Are there any tutorials or websites that explain acoustics (placements of foam and such). My room is 20x20.

Sorry to go from subject to subject but do any of you know how the shure beta 91 sounds? Im thinking of trying one out to get a fatter kick sound.

And for bottom snare micing how does a 57 sound? (with a 57 on the top also?) I might consider buying an extra.

alright guys ill think of more stuff and get back to you
thanks again!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:27 PM

Cool.

Check out www.realtraps.com, not the cheapest things around but I'm hearing nothing but stellar things from this company. I'm actually buying 4 mini-traps next week as my room has bad bass resonance flying throughout, which foam can't do jack-s__ about. There's lots of great info about acoustics on that site. I happen to have the same monitors you do and I do think they're fantastic for the price, but my room is very tempermental and needs addressing ASAP, cause if I can't really hear what's going on while I track and mix, I may as well give up. I think you're making a wise move by looking into treating your room.

Sorry I can't help you with kick drum mics, I use samples only...

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 PM

a SM57 for top and Bottom of snare is perfect
u will just need to reverse the phase on one of the mics
some people like to do the top some people like to do the bottom
so i'm not really sure which is better
Old 03-16-2004, 07:37 PM

Storm, you mentioned www.foambymail.com, looks very interesting. Which products do you have/recommend?

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Cool.

Check out www.realtraps.com, not the cheapest things around but I'm hearing nothing but stellar things from this company. I'm actually buying 4 mini-traps next week as my room has bad bass resonance flying throughout, which foam can't do jack-s__ about. There's lots of great info about acoustics on that site. I happen to have the same monitors you do and I do think they're fantastic for the price, but my room is very tempermental and needs addressing ASAP, cause if I can't really hear what's going on while I track and mix, I may as well give up. I think you're making a wise move by looking into treating your room.

Sorry I can't help you with kick drum mics, I use samples only...

Good luck!
Those "Micro Traps" look sweet for a vocal booth type deal. Im going to definately look into buying some of this stuff. I think itd make my room sound sweet!

And how do you 'reverse' phase?