Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Eleven AAX shipping free with PT 12

I got PT12 with Eleven rack. I think its pretty good, Especially for just getting scratch ideas down for song writing. It is even better because it can be used as a RE AMP which is a nice touch.

In terms of improving ER to the standards of an AxeFfx...I don't know of them doing it, but it COULD be done. It would also be a smart move. Keep in mind however, before Axe Fx even existed, people used ER on stage with a ground control or other midi foot switch. In Flames used them for years before moving to Axe FX (I saw therm recently and their gear was right up front).

I prefer real equipment myself, I have a Messa stack, and monster pedal board. yeah, it's heavier but I am not a wuss. Axe FX is ok, but I wouldn't buy it for one tone, and I just don't think it compares to the real thing personally.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Wanting a tidier studio doesn't make anyone a "wuss"...
Old 09-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Seems like 'No' is the answer to that.

But that is just typical AVID ...

G

They love pushing people's buttons. What a bunch of cowboys
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Can you imagine if Apple tried to sell Logic plugins as separate purchases? The whole thing would fall down. Talk about a house of cards...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark5093 View Post
Can you imagine if Apple tried to sell Logic plugins as separate purchases? The whole thing would fall down. Talk about a house of cards...
No question. A large part of the appeal of Logic is the incredible and ever expanding amount of content and tools that come standard.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
No question. A large part of the appeal of Logic is the incredible and ever expanding amount of content and tools that come standard.

Sure, and that's why I bought Logic 9 a few years ago for composing.

I just wonder how AVID doesn't see the potential gains in market share if they were to include more, better, and up to date (see: new) plugins with PT!

I mean, who pays $300 for their tape saturation? Don't they know they're competing with Slate Digital, never mind Waves, et al. As a Native user (when I'm on my own system), I'd be inclined to get Logic Pro X if they instituted some of PTs audio editing features, and I'm sure in not alone. I wonder if AVID knows this to be generally true...
Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
if you have the ilok license you can download the installer directly from the bottom of this page ...

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Eleven
Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 AM

While I'm definitely not high up on any list of Avid fans, I really don't get what all the fuss is about in this case.

The facts ...
1) Avid has decided to run a lmited time promotion, in which they will give away a license for their Eleven plugin with purchases of Pro Tools 12.

2) Promotions are nice, but do not convey any entitlement for people buying the same, or a different, product outside of the promotion period.

3) Why would anyone think that a promotion should apply ....
a) retrospectively,
b) forever from the time it was annonced,
c) to purchases that do not otherwise match the criteria of the promotion.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
While I'm definitely not high up on any list of Avid fans, I really don't get what all the fuss is about in this case.

The facts ...

1) Avid has decided to run a lmited time promotion, in which they will give away a license for their Eleven plugin with purchases of Pro Tools 12.

2) Promotions are nice, but do not convey any entitlement for people buying the same, or a different, product outside of the promotion period.

3) Why would anyone think that a promotion should apply ....

a) retrospectively,

b) forever from the time it was annonced,

c) to purchases that do not otherwise match the criteria of the promotion.

I don't see why you have taken the time to post your list of so called "Facts"
If you are happy with your situation that's good. I'm happy for you.
But clearly not everyone is in the same boat.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
I don't see why you have taken the time to post your list of so called "Facts"
If you are happy with your situation that's good. I'm happy for you.
But clearly not everyone is in the same boat.
I guess that's fair enough, in terms of why did I bother.

Sorry if I've caused upset, I'm just struggling to understand why people think this promotion should operate in any different way than promotional offers the world over.

Now if the topic were about value for money in general, for example, then I agree wholeheartedly with comments about the overpricing of certain Avid Plugins, Avid software in general, the lack of composition tools including a wider range of FX and virtual instruments, and limited MIDI functionality.

I also use Logic, and Cubase (my preferred DAW for MIDI work), and those guys have lots of extra features over and above what Pro Tools provides. However, there does remain somethng about PT's GUI and workflow that more intuitively fits with the way my brain works, and that's speaking as someone with 30 years experience with Cubase (if we include its ancestor Pro24) and only a relatively short 8 years experience with Pro Tools.

Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling, I've had plenty of criticism of Avid over the years, but this is one case I just don't understand ... it's a promotion, presumably designed to make a purchase of Pro Tools 12 more attractive to people who haven't yet bought or upgraded to it.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)