Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Current State of Exchange Program

I have an HD2 Accel system with 192 and Sync i/o looking to go to HD Native with an Omni. Apparently Avid offers absolutely no exchange deal for me to go to anything other than HDX (for $7000). The literally offer an Mbox user a better deal. They won't even let me apply a trade in for my 192 towards a Native system/Omni. There used to be an exchange program for this for $1500 - gone, and nothing at all remotely in it's place.

It gets better, too. They actually give an Mbox user $1000 off a Native system with Omni, but they won't give HD TDM system users anything. While Avid have had a consistent reputation for hosing their user base with their exchange deals, this is just insane. TDM users are treated worse than Mbox users - we're the same as a new customer coming in off the street. Disgraceful. Why would I stay with his company?

The incentive is for me to ditch Avid hardware all together, get an Apollo, and just upgrade my software. (I've used the Apollo on some sessions - works great). That way, in the future I'll only be fleeced for the software and I won't have to spend thousands of dollars on gear the company will phase out with no recourse.

I get that they want HDX users, but it's a brand new world and there are plenty of us that don't need it. Other people offer other products. Stay competitive or be gone. It's better to offer us what we actually need and want, than lose our business all together.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Current State of Exchange Program

Avid usually changes their specials with each quarter. Sometimes they hold over old ones and continue, and sometimes they have new ones.

So the end of June, beginning of July would be a time to check and see if there's a new special. That's not too long from now.

When they had that special before, at that time it wouldn't have made much sense to TDM owners, because you probably could have gotten a better deal by selling your system outright. I think that previous special was aimed more at the old Mix core card users.

Now, with PT11 making HD Native more powerful, combined with the lower after market value of TDM systems (being end of lifed), it would be a great time for Avid to bring back this special again, or something like it.

Again, I would wait until the end of June and see what the new specials are, before making a decision.

Also, be aware that they still have the ongoing special for interface trade ups by themselves. Trading in any old HD interface gets you $1000 off any of the new HD interfaces. This has been an ongoing program.

Doesn't help with the core card, but it's something to be aware of. Might help if you want more than one interface (besides whichever one is bundled with the system).

But again, give it a little time.

Worse case scenario, you can see about buying a cheap used Mbox 2 Pro, doing the transfer of ownership, and trading that in. Then selling your existing TDM system outright.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reply-

Yes-i thought about the Mbox ebay route. But, it looks tricky to transfer (as in you can't, once it's been registered). I have to research more on that.

I was told that Avid will not offer any paths from HD Accel to HD Native, as they don't like the hit they've taken on the HDX systems.

I just need the 1 Omni, so yeah, I'll have to sell my stuff - they won't allow me to apply to any HD Native bundle, so I'm hosed there.

I will wait it out, but I think like the recent Production Tool Kit upgrade policy adjustment, we need to let Avid know this isn't cool for them to consider changing things.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM

The rumors you heard makes no sense.

They offered that trade up before, as you know. I just said it didn't make much sense for TDM owners at that time, but the fact that they offered it once indicates that they could make money off of it. And some TDM owners may in fact have done that trade in.

So if they did it before, they can do it again. I would question the credibility of your source who basically claims to know the future and that Avid will never again offer something that they already did offer.

And as far as transfer of ownership, it's very much doable. Avid has set up the transfer of ownership for that very purpose. For the trade up deal, all you need is the hardware, not any kind of software. The worst that could happen is that Avid doesn't let you do the trade up if they suspect you bought the Mbox 2 Pro just for that purpose, but honestly, I don't think that's usually an issue.

I suggested the Mbox 2 Pro because it would be the cheapest qualifying thing to buy used. The 002/003 would be more expensive.

So if they don't change the specials at the end of June, that may be a route to go with.

Keep in mind that with the new system, you will also get the HD11 software, so that offsets your costs somewhat (if you had to buy that separately).
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Unfortunately, the source was actually from within Avid. They priced the original crossgrade to HD Native too low and they haven't had the sales of HDX they'd expected. Hopefully they'll change their mind (as they did with the Tool Kit upgrade) and see the error behind the current thinking.

My best option in that case would be the Mbox route, but will look into it more to make sure it can be done.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM

That's very interesting that he was that candid with you.

Some things to think about:

If the offer were still here, and you traded in your HD core card to get the HD Native card and software for $1500 (I think it was more closer to $1600) and then traded in your 192 to get $1000 off the Omni, then you will be paying about $3500-3600.

But, you will no longer have the HD core card or 192 to sell. You will just have your 2nd Accel card and your Sync IO to sell.

Now consider just buying the HDN/Omni brand new, without a trade in. It would be $1500 more, but, you'd still have the HD core card and 192 to sell.

I would think that you could get at least $1500 for those. So in the long run, I think it ends up working out the same either way, when all is said and done, and if you didn't want to hassle with trying to buy a used Mbox to trade in.

Plus, if you just bought it outright, and sold your HD2 and 192 as a complete system, you might actually get a little more for it. The idea being that a complete HD2 system might be more appealing to buyers, rather than buying just an accel card, and then still having to buy a core card, and then an interface. The value of the sum of the parts might be greater than the whole.

Not only that, but dealers have more profit margin on the brand new systems than they do on the trade up deals. So they may be able to give you a proportionally bigger discount on a new system.

So you may want to consider your options.

On a side note, your Sync IO doesn't qualify for any trade up, so you'll need to sell that and get a new Sync HD (if you still need a unit like that).
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Yeah-some thinking and waiting to do. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM

I have been watching new Native HD cards sell on Ebay for $1400.00. Worth considering. There are also plenty of compatible used interfaces that sound better than the 192.

Another option is maxing out your HD rig with a chassis and additional cards. Very inexpensive and maximum bang for the buck, not to mention stability. Need to run PT11? Run it on a laptop and import bounced audio into your HD rig.

Best...H
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Those $1400 cards, do they include the software license? That makes a big difference. It can be a new card that's never been taken out if the package, but still not include software. I've seen some like that.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Card only. I'm already at PT10HD so it's better without the software in my case. Best...H