Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Firewire HD not recognized after power-out

Hi:

I wonder if anyone has any insight on this... I'm out in London working on a project (from the US) with a Pro Tools Mix Cubed system running on a dual 533 Mac. I've got a 120GB EZQuest Cobra Plus external firewire HD connected to the top FW port and another Cobra of the same kind connected to the FW throughput of the first drive. Everything is working fine for a couple of days. While doing a rather large data transfer from one drive to the other, the power goes out momentarily (you can't live without those UPS's) and everything shuts down. When I reboot, nothing is recognized from the firewire ports. We have a second system here, so I checked out the drives on another dual 533 and they're fine. I've tried lots of things to get the FW ports but nothing has worked yet (they don't see anything: DV cameras, drives, etc). I scoured the Apple web site... no official info but plenty of users on their discussion board with the same problem and no word from Apple and no solutions from other users. One user sent his G4 in for repair and got it back working OK. He noticed that on the repair receipt they had changed out a logic board.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm a bit pressed for time as I don't have much time to complete this project before going back to the States (repair turnaround times are pretty lengthy I understand).

Thanks in advance!

Jahz
Old 04-28-2002, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Firewire HD not recognized after power-out

I may be stating the obvious, but did you zap your PRAM and rebuild your desktop?
Old 04-28-2002, 06:57 AM

I have 4 40 Gb firewire drives from Lacie and have nothing but regular problems with these drives. They work flawlessly, IF they appear on the desktop when booting. Usually when the problem pops up again, I zap the pram, rebuild the desktop, mess about with the extensions and controlpanels until it seems to be working OK again. Then, if I succeed, things usually are stable until the first time I change something, like install a piece of software, and there we go again. I wish I had an explanation and a solution for this problem too.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:02 AM

This is a slightly different twist on the subject of this thread. I just purchased a 7200 RPM 120 gig Western Digital HD for use with my Power Mac 9500. It is working fine, however, it spews and sputters whenever I try to play MP3s or any audio from the drive. The same audio plays back perfectly on my SCSI drives connected to the computer. Does anyone know why this happens? I wonder if it is a problem with the bus speed of the CPU. Thanks,

Mike M
Old 04-28-2002, 08:00 AM

"broken" firewire drives that just got corrupted are fairly easy to bring back:

- turn mac off
- unhook all drives
- reboot
- when mac is up, launch "disk first aid 8.6.1"
- plug broken drive back into the firewire port

now, it SHOULD appear after a minute or so in disk first aid. If it does, repair it, BUT, don't use as-is...

Now run Disk Warrior on it.

Reboot, and you should be set. I've fixed dozens of drives like this.

-charles