Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Headphone Out Problem in Pro Tools.

Hey guys, I'm 100% if this is a Pro Tools problem, or a Focusrite problem, however when I'm in the middle of recording, I cannot hear myself in my headphones.

The track is active, I can hear the tracking coming out of the headphones, but I cannot hear myself. Now obviously I can hear what I'm saying even though I have headphones on, but its disorienting to not hear myself during recording. Is there a setting that I may have missed?
Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Headphone Out Problem in Pro Tools.

More info needed. Starting with are you trying to monitor yourself via hardware monitoring in the interface or via software monitoring/Pro Tools?

The track is "active"? You mean record armed?

What do you mean can "hear the tracking"... you mean hear the playback? The "tracking" might mean your voice while recording, although we'd usually call that "monitoring". Or do you mean after you have recorded you can play back and then you hear yourself in the mix?

Ya got to try to explain clearly what you are trying to do and what is happening.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
More info needed. Starting with are you trying to monitor yourself via hardware minoring in the interface or via software monitoring/Pro Tools?
I'm just trying to hear myself through the headphones while I'm doing vocal tracking. I'm literally just plugging in headphones into my headphone output in my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and that's it. In previous versions of Pro Tools, (8,9, and 11) I didn't have this issue.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM

Check if you have "Low latency Monitoring' selected in the options menu. If so, uncheck it.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Still stuck, please answer every question. If you don't understand one just say so.

1. And again, are you trying to use hardware or software monitoring?

2. And confirm if there is any actual audio recorded even if you cannot hear it via monitoring while tracking.

3. Did you used to always hear input monitoring regardless of what was going in in Pro Tools or even if it was running? -- that's hardware monitoring. Not working: [Edit correct info for 2i2] press the 2i2 monitor button so the get mono or stereo monitoring icons illuminate, otherwise hardware monitoring is off.

4. Did you used to only hear monitoring when Pro Tools was running and maybe only when record armed? And able to insert plugins on the input track and the their effect -- that's software monitoring. Not working now: you may have Pro Tools in the wrong input monitoring mode/track not in input monitoring mode etc.

5. What have you changed from when it worked? What exact version have you upgraded from and to? (exact version of Pro Tools 12 is important. 12.1 added track input monitoring, which *might* trip you up).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-27-2019 at 03:02 PM.