How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Default Can't write any automation with fader except volume [solved]

Hey folks,

I'm attempting to use the fader of my Avid Dock to write automation; specifically the wet/dry parameters on the D-Verb factory plugin.

Steps Taken:
* I have enabled wet/dry from the plug-in automation screen.
* I have confirmed that PLUG-IN is selected on the mater automation window (WINDOW>AUTOMATION).
* I have selected WET/DRY on both the Track View Selector and the automation lane.
* Set the track to WRITE.

SYMPTOMS:
A red line does appear during playback, indicating that the automation is being written. However, any adjustments made with either the physical dock fader or the on screen fader only affects VOLUME automation. There is no change to the wet/dry settings. If I change the view back to volume, I can see the changes written to volume (and can hear it in the session).

I can confirm that this is not a EuCon or control surface problem, as I can disable EuCon entirely and the problem persists. In fact, I can not write automation to ANY parameter except volume, including Pan I have created a new session, and tried different plugins; no luck.

What am I dong wrong here? Or is it indeed not possible to write plugin automation with the fader, even with Avid hardware?

HOST SPECS:
PC (Self-built)
Software: Pro Tools Standard 12.7.1
Windows 10 (V1607/OS build 14393.576)
Processor: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core
RAM: 32GB DDR3
Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
GPU: nVidia 970 GTX
Playback Device: Mackie Onyx 1620 (via FireWire 400 LOUD Technology driver)
Project Storage: OWC eSata RAID (4 - 4TB 7200rpm Sata III HDDs running on RAID 5 64MB cache)
Control Surface: Avid Dock, Pro Tools Control (iPad Air 2)
EuControl Version: 3.6.0

Last edited by goodfellamikec; 04-15-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to post system specs
Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Can't write any automation with fader except volume

Solved my own issue here, but wanted to share in case anyone else is having this problem.

So you can NOT use the fader to write automation other than volume (as far as I know) directly on the edit screen using physical faders or the mix window faders. Instead, and again this is probably already well known by the experts, you have to write your adjustments from the plug-in window itself. Whatever parameter you are trying to adjust should be indicated with a red dot or red box. Once in write mode, made your adjustments with the mouse and the automation will be written on the track.

This is kind of a clunky process with a mouse, so for those of you with an Avid Dock, a better way is to set your track view selector to the parameter you want to automate, then bring up that same parameter on Pro Tools Control. So in my case that would be Channel>Insert>Deverb. Set the track to write (or touch, etc.), then make your adjustments on the rotary knob next to the parameter. Although it's still not nearly as precise as a fader, it's still better than using the mouse, IMHO.

If someone knows to to customize the Avid Dock so I can use the fader to adjust any parameter in write/touch/latch mode, please let me know. That would be amazing.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Can't write any automation with fader except volume

Glad you got it figured out. I was expecting to disappoint you with my reply but I see you already answered your own question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Can't write any automation with fader except volume [solved]

I know the dock only has the one fader, but surely there is a "flip to fader" button, to allow plug-in automation.

Even basic HUI devices can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Can't write any automation with fader except volume [solved]

Hi guys, is fader flip in dock to control send level possible in 2020?