Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Limiting Digi Database Folders to specific drives?

PT LE has this strange habit of creating Digidesign Database Folders on ANY drive connected to the system. While this is a good thing on your audio drives for sure, I think it's getting a bit awkward on any other "drive" you may connect to the system while PT is running.
I'm not necessarily meaning a digital camera here, but my Tascam HD-P2 digital recorder connected via Firewire which I obviously need to connect while PT is running for importing the recorded audio files directly to PT tracks/regions.
It's really cumbersome having to delete the Database Folder from the HD-P2's CF card after every PT import, although luckily the HD-P2 is obviously ignoring that folder on its filesystem.
But still: Is there some way to limit the creation of Database Folders i.e. only to a list of drive names?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Limiting Digi Database Folders to specific drives?

Nope.

Can you remove the CF card from the Tascam before you connect it, or is that what you're pulling the audio off of?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Limiting Digi Database Folders to specific dri

Slim, the audio files are residing on the 4GB CF card, of course...

So this would rather look like an enhancement request for future releases, Digi...?

Many electronic instruments can be backed up i.e. via USB nowadays and appear as a drive when connected. However I doubt if really every device would tolerate this database folder in their filesystem if PT is accidentally still running in the background. It would be rather nasty if such a device would lock up because of this folder (cured only by a factory reset) just when the user wanted to back up his latest programming work...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM

They've been creating those folders since the first version for OS X, so it's not new. I agree that it's not cosmetically the best, but considering the amount of time that they've been doing it this way, I've never seen one report on here about those folders messing anything up, so it doesn't appear to be an issue. I think in general those of us who like to keep our drives neat n' clean would all prefer to just not have to deal with those folder thoughs, I hope that eliminating them does happen somewhere along the line.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Actually, my Digidesign Databases got corrupted from a Firewire Drive that refused to mount because of the 10.3 Firewire Bug and Pro Tools will throw the "Neoaccess Error" until you throw them (the database folders on each drive) all away and restart Pro Tools.

Not a super big deal, but worth knowing about.

bmd