Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Custom pc build

anyone!!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Hi Vin,

Shortly after installing my HD Native card in my ASUS motherboard, I remember hearing a high pitched whine whose frequency varied with different settings. In my case, it was physically coming from the card itself (or something in the case near the card - putting my ear against the rear of the case confirmed this), not through the audio path through my monitors.

In searching, I found these threads:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=315202
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=315203

My experience may or may not be related to yours, since you are hearing it through your monitors. Mine was not, like I said. It was a noise physically coming from the PC case.

Long story short, that episode occurred within the first weeks of my experience with HD Native while I was experimenting, optimizing, configuring, tweaking. It eventually disappeared and I have not worried about it since. Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly what I did to make it stop. I was changing lots of things and I eventually did a complete clean reinstall of everything. I did not buy any different hardware, so whatever I did to get rid of it was a configuration issue.

I do not recall exactly what I did to make it go away, but I seem to remember physically changing the PCIe slot of the HDN card and my graphics and UAD-2 cards. As part of my clean reinstall, I definitely removed all cards except the graphics card. Have you tried different slots and/or reseating the cards?

Other low cost things I can think of that I was tinkering with at that time that you might want to try:

Check the digilink cable
If you are using S/PDIF for non PT audio, check the S/PDIF cable and the Omni settings in Hardware

On the more drastic side, have you tried a complete clean reinstall of Windows and everything else?

If it was the clean reinstall that got rid of my noise, I did this about 5 months after I first built my PC, so I used updated drivers for the motherboard chipset and graphics card, etc.

Regarding the motherboard chipset drivers, I have an emphatic handwritten note to myself from this clean reinstall to NOT install and/or to disable Intel Managenent Engine Interface (MEI) and PCI Simple Communications Controller and to NOT accept the Windows Update offer to install this driver. I don't know if this was related.

I don't have the same ASUS motherboard, but if you have any questions about settings, I can share mine with you.

Sorry I can not be of more help. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Hi dawgear

Thanks very much for your response, I haven't done a reinstall of windows yet. I should have my new power supply during the week and if noise still remains that will be my next move!
I would really appreciate if you could show me or tell me the settings you have done in bios and just in general for pro tools.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM

I would try moving the mouse to another USB port(maybe even to the front ports) and also try a different brand of rodent

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
and also try a different brand of rodent
Haha
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Hi guys

The rodent isn't the problem! Have tried without.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin7 View Post
Hi dawgear

Thanks very much for your response, I haven't done a reinstall of windows yet. I should have my new power supply during the week and if noise still remains that will be my next move!
I would really appreciate if you could show me or tell me the settings you have done in bios and just in general for pro tools.
Hi Vin7, sorry for the delay.

Have you had a chance to try a different power supply?

I am by no means an expert, but here are my settings. Feel free to experiment. I don't know if they are necessarily the most optimal, but my system is stable and runs well with these settings. If anyone else spots something amiss, please comment.

System:

Pro Tools HD Native 10.3.4
HD Omni
Windows 8 Pro 64
ASUS P9X79
Intel i7 3930K at 3.8 GHZ
Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
Corsair TX 750 M PSU
NVIDIA GeForce GT610 1024MB DDR3
3 WD Caviar Black 1TB, 2TB, 2TB
Artist Control V2 w/ Eucon 2.7

ASUS P9X79 BIOS Settings

Start from Optimized Defaults (Advanced Mode, press F5)
Ai Tweaker
X.M.P. (CPU 3800 GHz, DRAM 1866 MHz)
If select OC Tuner, CPU will be 4.167 GHZ and DRAM will be 1685 MHZ
Advanced
CPU Config
Hyperthreading: On
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
Turbo: Enabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3: Disabled
CPU C6: Disabled
CPU C7: Disabled
Onboard Devices
Azalia HD Audio: Enabled (for S/PDIF into HD Omni)
Intel LAN Controller: Enabled (for Eucon)
VIA 1394 Controller: Disabled
Serial Port: Disabled

Windows Tweaks

ASUS chipset drivers: don't install and/or disable Intel Managenent Engine Interface (MEI) and PCI Simple Communications Controller; don't accept the Windows Update offer to install this driver.

All Avid recommended optimizations; I leave Turbo mode enabled in BIOS. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...411?popup=true

Acronis Scheduler 2 disabled at startup. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=317608

Windows Update: Change setting to automatically download but ask to install. Install all important and relevant (e.g. drivers, but NOT graphics!) updates. Installed everything except drivers that I already have installed (e.g. graphics card, mouse).

For installing PT 10 on Windows 8: run the PT installer found in the Pro Tools Installer folder (not the Setup application outside). Use Win 7 Compatibility mode and run as administrator. Once installed, Win 7 mode should not be checked and Run As Admin may or may not be checked (I get occasional errors if unchecked , but my Logitech mouse's programmable buttons do not work if it is checked.)