Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 AM

Default Brand new Mbox, Brand new pro tools LE 7.4. "unable to locate digidesign hardware"

Ok newbie here. I know this looks like it has been done to death, but I just can't find a decent answer. So i'll try one last time!

I have purchased a brand new Mbox mini from globalsound.com.au. It did not come with Pro tools LE so i downloaded Pro tools LE 7.4 from Avid. I have manually installed all the mbox mini drivers, the computer knows that it is plugged in. Uninstalled (clean) and re-installed Pro tools. Still not working. Makes absolutely no sense.

I am from Australia so its hard to receive phone help from Avid. So very frustrating to pay all this money for something that refuses to work!

If anyone has any answer, please let me know. Im using a Max OS X (October 2011 version).

Thankyou all
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Brand new Mbox, Brand new pro tools LE 7.4. "unable to locate digidesign hardware

You would have saved yourself some frustration if you had read the basic system requirements for both the software and the hardware.

Your Mac comes with OS Lion. Protools 7.4 has never been, and will never be compatible with Lion. So you won't be able to use that software.

You might try to see if Avid will give you a refund.

Also, the new Mbox Mini has never been, and never will be, compatible with 7.4. It wasn't even introduced until Protools 8.

For your system, what you need is Protools 9 or 10.

The cheapest way to fix this, is to see if your dealer will take back the Mbox Mini, and instead you should buy the Mbox Mini bundled with Protools 9. This will also give you an upgrade to Protools 10, which is also compatible.

Doing this will be the most cost effective way. Otherwise, you will need to get the full version of Protools 10, which is the only thing currently available that is compatible with your system. Protools 9 is discontinued, but you may be able to find it on Ebay.

Again, the simplest solution is to return the one you got, and get the bundled version.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Brand new Mbox, Brand new pro tools LE 7.4. "unable to locate digidesign hardware

Told you I was a newbie! Thanks heaps dude