Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Getting hardware repaired from Avid direct, how to reach a human without contract.

Hello,

I have some I/O's that are in need of repair. I would rather the repair take place at Avid Audio HQ, how can I set up a repair and a R.A# without a service contract? It appears that you must pay big money just to reach a human, I just want to set up a repair order.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Getting hardware repaired from Avid direct, how to reach a human without contract

Not sure if anything has changed, but I just called, gave my CC info and set up a ticket. It was easy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Getting hardware repaired from Avid direct, how to reach a human without contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Not sure if anything has changed, but I just called, gave my CC info and set up a ticket. It was easy.
Thanks for the info. Did you call in the last couple of weeks? They now made it so that you cannot get through to any human unless you have a support contract code. I have not found a way to even send a e-mail without a support code. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is a brand new policy just enacted. I am pretty upset that they would do this even for simple repair requests, parts orders and customer service transfers of ownership.

I think they should not make the mistakes of N.I and make it impossible to reach support, it will sow deeper seeds of discontent. Avid is making some very good moves on the software fronts I would hate to see the customer service tactics drastically altered for the worse.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 AM

When I did it (about 2 months ago) you called and entered your CC # and that was it, you got through. Must have changed.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM

What I think the OP is saying is that he apparently can't even arrange to send a piece of equipment in for repair without shelling out the $79.95 to do it. I'm in the same boat with parts. In all honesty I haven't tried to order them yet, but from what I can see it appears that to do anything now one has to spend $79.95 just to get started, which if true, is crap.

I've been using Digi stuff since 1990 and always felt like I meant something to the company and felt comfortable going to them when I needed help. I'm not talking about getting "free" support although sometimes they did cut me some slack on certain issues. But, since the big change a few months ago with their customer service policy I find myself trying to avoid dealing with them at all. I don't mind paying a fair amount for the time it takes to resolve a problem, but $80 for any little question at all is ridiculous and just plain greedy on Digi's part. I won't even go into the poor website problem. All I can say is I'm sure glad I did my latest upgrade before all of that started or I'd probably still be looking for software updates/info.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS View Post
What I think the OP is saying is that he apparently can't even arrange to send a piece of equipment in for repair without shelling out the $79.95 to do it. I'm in the same boat with parts. In all honesty I haven't tried to order them yet, but from what I can see it appears that to do anything now one has to spend $79.95 just to get started, which if true, is crap.

I've been using Digi stuff since 1990 and always felt like I meant something to the company and felt comfortable going to them when I needed help. I'm not talking about getting "free" support although sometimes they did cut me some slack on certain issues. But, since the big change a few months ago with their customer service policy I find myself trying to avoid dealing with them at all. I don't mind paying a fair amount for the time it takes to resolve a problem, but $80 for any little question at all is ridiculous and just plain greedy on Digi's part. I won't even go into the poor website problem. All I can say is I'm sure glad I did my latest upgrade before all of that started or I'd probably still be looking for software updates/info.

Jeff
Exactly,
Hopefully this gets addressed sooner then later.
As we discussed in the thread regarding transfer of ownership, a customer needs a way to speak and arrange for a repair or parts purchase (without tech support) without having to have a support contract!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 PM

I can understand where AVID comes from on this as people like to talk gear.. and the "what ifs" and "How about" with every phone call they get. But this has got to be the worst policy i have ever dealt with when it comes to hardware.

I do studio tech and up keep for several Pro Tool HD studios on the West Coast. I am pretty much able to trouble shoot most things between the DUC and other users. When we have tried everything else I will finally call in if the client wants to pay for it.

However, when it comes to the HARDWARE issues whats up with this? With shrinking budgets and growing overhead money is tight all over. But this is like raping your servants. $80 just to talk. I dont get it.

AVID does all these survey and such and yet nothing changes. Loyalty only goes so far.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM

It's my understanding that if you call 650-731-6100 and choose option 3 you should reach the repairs line at no charge.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struk407 View Post
It's my understanding that if you call 650-731-6100 and choose option 3 you should reach the repairs line at no charge.
Thanks for the tip, I see no mention of this number in any of the online web documents or PDF manuals. When avid reopens for buisiness I will certainly give it a try. I do find it disconcerting that if someone purchases a $65,000 rig (dcontrol or HD systems) that you only receive 2 phone support calls or 10 online requests all only available for 60 days! This is highway robbery! I can think of no other hardware manufacturer offering such a horrible technical support policy.

Not a wise move on Avid's part. Perhaps the layoffs of support staff will help the power point presentation come the shareholders meeting but the seeds of resentment being sown will do far more damage in the long run. Not smart.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
I can understand where AVID comes from on this as people like to talk gear.. and the "what ifs" and "How about" with every phone call they get.
(snip)
AVID does all these survey and such and yet nothing changes. Loyalty only goes so far.
Well, even if someone did want to shoot the bull they were paying $3.00/min after the first 3 minutes. That's $180/hour. More than most studios are probably getting with all of their overhead. I understand that and I paid that fee when I had a question that took a while to answer. It wasn't like Digi wasn't getting paid for their time, but an $80 flat fee for anything is stupid.