Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Default Please Tell me that I am Kidding....

Hi,

I normally work with PT HD but got 003 to do some work at home with LE...
So now I am sitting here with my Music Prod ToolKit (Purchased Extra) and trying to do a Mix. Now, I realize that I only have 32 busses to play with.

32 Busses ----- Helloooooooooooooo - Someone, please tell me that I am missing some extremely important up in my head. 32 busses in a 2009 software is a joke. But then again, I might be wrong.

If there is no way to get more than 32 busses then I can understand why so many PT LE users never bother to purchase an HD system. Dont get me
wrong, I love HD, but the limitations of LE must be meant as a dumb joke (No Plug-In Parameter Group ganging etc) at least, had I not started with HD but with
LE I would have never ever gone HD. Glad I did not start with this state of the past software.

Any answers would be great.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Please Tell me that I am Kidding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Hi,

I normally work with PT HD but got 003 to do some work at home with LE...
So now I am sitting here with my Music Prod ToolKit (Purchased Extra) and trying to do a Mix. Now, I realize that I only have 32 busses to play with.

32 Busses ----- Helloooooooooooooo - Someone, please tell me that I am missing some extremely important up in my head. 32 busses in a 2009 software is a joke. But then again, I might be wrong.

Any answers would be great.
You gave yourself your answer.. 32 busses is it. (this has been my soapbox for a long time now with ANY very vocal complaints about it).

The solution: Buy the CPTK.. wait til you get a load of the price on that sucker!

In the end I decided that if I wanted to stay with PT, that's what I had to do. I really love the CPTK.. but it came with a lot of stuff that I'll never use and the price still sticks in my craw...

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM

U could use(if u have it) an adat interface for an extra 8 stereo busses or 16mono...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks boys for your replies. Much Appreciated.

Before I enter into that Music Production bundle MADNESS - I'd rather sell my LE or trade it in for an 2nd HD....

Digi, what on earth are you thinking.

Pro Tools LE aint no advertisement for your HD systems, its a DEAL BREAKER...

Guess it aint the weight of AVID's CEO's BRAIN who is causing his flat feet.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM

You already know that HD is for the "Heavy Duty" users like yourself. LE is for "Limited Edition" users like me. Limitation to busses, track counts, etc. are a way of life in LE. We make do with it however we can.

Analogy:
If you used to drive a Ferrari and now get a Honda Accord, you'd think the Honda was a joke. Those of us with a Honda Accord think it is plenty to get us to the supermarket and back. We can still wish to drive a Ferrari but can't justify the cost yet.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
You already know that HD is for the "Heavy Duty" users like yourself. LE is for "Limited Edition" users like me. Limitation to busses, track counts, etc. are a way of life in LE. We make do with it however we can.
Speak for urself OD

I don't touch the HD3 rig; I have the CPTK, plenty outboard, BLA Sig mod, so the HD3 rig for me is the TIMMIE of the 2 rigs (u'd have to watch SOUTHPARK to know who TIMMIE is)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Avid

This is something that I've been curious about - with an app that has a max of 64 tracks, how are you using up 32 busses?

The only time I've seen people doing it they've had really, really bad engineering technique.

I know you're good, so I'm curious what you're doing to use up all those busses - maybe I could learn something?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This is something that I've been curious about - with an app that has a max of 64 tracks, how are you using up 32 busses?

The only time I've seen people doing it they've had really, really bad engineering technique.

I know you're good, so I'm curious what you're doing to use up all those busses - maybe I could learn something?

My technique probably stinks.. but here you go.. Drums mixed down to a stereo drums use 6 (mix, fx, comp). Acc Gtr uses 4 (fx and mix) EGtr uses 4-6 more (fx, mix, maybe comp), Bass may see 1-2 (fx and mix), perc may need 4 (mix and fx) Lead Vox gets 5 (fx, rev, ddl), BgV get 2 (fx and mix combined) and a master vox gets 2 more..

That's 31. If I add anything else, keys, fiddle, banjo, etc... I'm over the limit. Also, if I start bouncing things around, I have to 'borrow' from somewhere else to do that. I'm not big on rearranging things. It's ok to do if you have to but in this day and age, why do we have to? (Not a slam here, I've given up on that).. but why is PT the only DAW that limits to 32 bus tracks?

Could it be done with less? yes. but again I'll ask.. in this day and age, why?

EDIT: Akkkkkkkkk I forgot to add two more for a master recording mix bus.. that puts me over right there.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
U could use(if u have it) an adat interface for an extra 8 stereo busses or 16mono...
KB, don't you mean 8 total, 4 stereo.. And I think you only need an ADAT cable.. In to out...?? I've certainly never needed that many.. I'm simple
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Yeah, & we say 32 but in retrospect it's really 16 in most cases because ur mostly gonna use stereo busses; I usually have 3-5 reverbs alone for different things so thatz 10 with only 6 left...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY