Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 PM

Ben is right, disk imaging is useful when it comes to boot partitions, but audio disks, wouldn't care less!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
CCC is good for backing up entire disks, but if you just want to incrementally back up project files or folders (without cloning a whole drive), check out Synchronize X (Plus or Pro) by Qdea (Mac)
CCC does incremental backups.
Apogee Duet (Firewire)
Old 05-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
CCC does incremental backups.
Right, but CCC is primarily designed to clone drives (incrementally if desired), but Synchronize X is primarily designed for synchronizing or incrementally backing up folders, which is often more useful for backing up current Pro Tools projects on a regular basis.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM

You know I got tired of using software to archive. Something would always seem to go wrong. Just never felt comfortable. Now I have a 6TB drive and when done with a session I just drag it over and delete from the audio drive. The archive drive is raid mirror which is then is backed up by Crash Plan every night. I can search that drive for anything specific and if one drive goes down then the mirror is the safety net. Pretty simple and haven't run out of space yet...Crash Plan is unlimited.

Also have another drive where Time Machine backs up the audio and system drive every hour. That's the emergency backup with (pretty) current work in case a drive happens to die unexpectedly. When that drive is full, Time Machine starts to delete the oldest files. It's 1TB and usually starts to recycle every 4 months. So far so good on everything.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Backing Up Hard Disks

Hello again!
It's been a while, since my schedule was full all over and didn't have time even to check the backup programs!
I want to point here, that I'm looking for a Windows compatible program that will backup my Audio Disk to another hard disk that I have especially for backup usage.
But I want to point here that I don't like backup programs that use image files. The reason for that is because sometimes I want to quickly go to the backup disk and pick up some files that are there, and don't want to wait for the whole image to be restored in case something goes bad.
So by saying that, I checked the programs you adviced me to check.
1. Acronis True Image 2015: User "The Weed" adviced me to stay away from this last version so I dind't even checked it.
2. Macrium seems to only backup to image files.
3. Image for Windows seems to only backup to image files only too.
4. AOMEI Backupper software also backups only to image file.

Isn't there a program that will just copy files and folders, with no compression, no image files, so I can make incremental backups?? I don't want to use image files.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Backing Up Hard Disks

Acronis and Macrium both allow you to mount an image as a virtual drive, search it and copy out anything you like. I did it yesterday as I had modified a file, closed the program and then realized I had deleted some information from the file I wanted to keep. I mounted a virtual drive of the image, copied off the old file, opened it and then copied the information I needed back into the new file.

Both also allow you to clone a drive if that's what you want to do. (Please remember that cloning will erase all previous data on a disk/partition.)

Macrium does allow File & Folder Backup and incremental File & Folder backup. Both Acronis and Macrium allow incremental image backup once a full image has been done.

I and others here use images because with images you can keep various images from points in time, like the initial install of Windows, Windows with just Pro Tools, or an image just before you install a new program allowing you to go back to a working system if something goes south with the new program or another point in time.

I keep a number of images archived and a 2 day image in rotation. For example, I have full images from Monday and Tuesday of my OS drive on my Work computer. Tonight, I'll delete Monday's and make a new image for Wednesday at end-of-day. As I sleep, the image will be made, verified and the computer turned off.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward

Last edited by The Weed; 06-24-2015 at 08:45 AM.