Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-27-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Hum from Clavia Ddrum4 module

Using electric guitar first time since the time having a LCD monitor I expected to have no more radiation to the pickups of the guitar.-
But it shows that the drum brain radiates and even very strongly ( appears like more noise than from usual monitors ).

Clavia responded: "The ddrum4 brain shouldn't radiate that much. Could it be that your other equipment is very sensitive?"

I would like to find out if my guitar as such could be indeed too sensitive or if I got a bad module ...

Although there seem not to be too many Ddrum users it would be nice to hear from others experience if any should happen to see this post.

Thanks!

Lalaman
Old 11-27-2002, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Hum from Clavia Ddrum4 module

If you are saying that you think the Ddrum is causing guitar hum due to electro magnetic interference, it does seem unlikely to me. I record guitar tracks sitting about 4 feet from a Ddrum 3 brain. Since I got rid of my CRT monitor, I have as little hum as one can reasonably expect from guitar pickups. It's been great.

If you find that the hum goes away when you shut the Ddrum on and off, maybe it's related to a grounding issue with the circuit the Ddrum is plugged into (??) or something like that.

Tom
Old 11-27-2002, 02:46 PM

Yup, it definitly comes from the Ddrum unit. The brain is plugged to another plug than PC/Digi but they are hooked all to the same wall socket, so I guess it means the same circuit yet.

-I´ll try out then if it is better when plugged into the same extension cord. ( If I find out which plug belongs to which ... got more cables here meanwhile than General Electric [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Thanks for confirming that the brain mustn´t be the bad boy!

Lalaman
Old 11-27-2002, 07:45 PM

I have a Ddrum 4 SE System 1 set up and haven't had any problems with hum...Maybe you could record the audio of the Ddrum to Protools and then shut the Ddrum module off...If you still get the hum while recording then it positively isn't coming from Ddrum...
Old 11-27-2002, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moonmusic:
I have a Ddrum 4 SE System 1 set up and haven't had any problems with hum...Maybe you could record the audio of the Ddrum to Protools and then shut the Ddrum module off...If you still get the hum while recording then it positively isn't coming from Ddrum...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Moon!
Yes that is always an option. I didn´t do it yet, cause I am always hesitating with audio because unconsciously fearing to corrupt session with too much of audio files and also because of an old habit from those days were you had to be stingy with HD storage.

But as I checked out connection of the unit ( it is hooked together with PC and Digi ) and since XP ( received last necessary part to work with midi & audio on it yesterday and it is working absolutely great ) with 180 gig ...

You are right I will convert the midi drum tracks. I just was wondering anyway about the brain ( as it is much to quiet through headphones while playing and e.g. the kick pad hardly to be heard, while as played back it tends to distort. Then if I lower inputs in PT it sounds ok again until minutes later where it distorts again. Also cymbals can´t be muted by hand and other phenomenons like that, you know. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ) if it maybe was not in the right condition the way it is.

Greetings
Lalaman
Old 11-28-2002, 08:30 AM

On Ddrum, Are you using version 1.4? You can get a chip for around $100 that takes it to version 1.5 and the big deal is it boosts the main output 6db....I can tell a difference at the main outputs but haven't tried the headphones since the upgrade but your absolutely right that the headphones are hard to hear...The way around that is to patch the module into a mixer and use the mixer headphone out to monitor through headphones...I get plenty of volume that way...The best way to mute the cymbals would be to use the multiple audio outputs on the module...Just put the cymbals out different outputs of the module and then they can be muted.....
Old 11-28-2002, 08:35 AM

Or do you mean when you grab the cymbal pad it won't mute?....If you feel it's acting buggy then maybe you should reinitialize the unit...Or just reset the factory settings...You'll lose your personal settings you put into it but at least it could possibly clear up the bugs...
Old 11-28-2002, 08:59 AM

Hey Moon,

what I have is ver.1.5.
I do route it through PT in order to hear it better in phones. But it is hard to believe that signal is supposed to be so quite from the units phone outs. Clavia says that there has to be reserve for headroom in regard of hi-hat and cymbs, but a signal so low that you can´t get it over the sticks noise through half closed headphones?
Hard to believe as regular I thought.

Yes, I meant muting by grabbing. That didn´t work here from the beginning. But still, I´m gonna check the manual once again in case there is anything left to be considered.

Thanx!
Lalaman

Would you have an idea why bass kick appears recorded to loud ( in midi ) and how came that it varies ( sometimes distorting, sometimes not )? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
Hey Moon,
Would you have an idea why bass kick appears recorded to loud ( in midi ) and how came that it varies ( sometimes distorting, sometimes not )? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well the distorted kick would be the harder hits I'm assuming so I'd turn the sensitivity knob down a little on the bass drum....Should give a little more headroom on the harder hits...Maybe you don't have the right "trigger type" setting for your cymbals set right and that's why they don't mute when you grab them...Just a thought...
Old 11-28-2002, 04:08 PM

No, I meant - and that is what is so curious about it - varying while the same midi notes are played back through the module ( send from within PT ).

Sensitivity is not raised to max by far, although a bit above of what I would adjust it to when recording for final audio track, but yet in order to be able to hear the kick among the other pads while drumming it is usually set around "1 o´clock".

I´ll check about trigger types / cymbals!

Thanks!
Lalaman