Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Least of evils when upgrading. (A few questions.)

Hello all,

I am considering upgrading my OS on a MacBook Pro (current OS 10.7.5, made in late 2011) that is running PT 10.2.0. I've got a couple questions before I make the leap, if the leap is worth making.

I have to say, I'm pretty comfortable in my current work conditions, I use an RME Fireface UFC for my interface and a Glyph GPT50 for all my files.

1. Is it even worth doing? I am told to make the PT upgrade now, I would have to pay in $299 to get where I need to be.

2. Would I encounter any issues with the upgrade process? Uninstall and re-install or complications getting PT to function?

3. I have some Valhalla plug-ins that I have the licenses for and some Massey demo plug-ins that are no longer supported (the lack of support is one of the reasons I am considering an upgrade). Would I be better off just straight out buying the license to those plug-ins to avoid the upgrade? With the upgrade would I have any issues losing the functionality of the plug-ins I do have? I am in the middle of a couple of projects that aren't quite finished and I would be crushed if I'd have to remix with new plug-ins.

4. Opening old sessions? Can I still do it? Or will there be a compatibility thing? I guess this sort of falls in line with the "unfinished projects". If I can't access the session itself, doesn't matter if I can or can't use certain plug-inns.

There is a part of me that feels that if buying a couple of licenses and cruising right along with what I have would be just fine, better than spending $299 (I only need one license from Massey, cheap comparatively speaking). But at the same time, I hate to get left behind and have technical issues down the line. Currently I know that PT 12 isn't supported by OS High Sierra and I suspect that's what my computer will automatically update to.

Any thoughts, wisdom? I have no problem doing the upgrade if needed, but would prefer to not have the headache if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Last edited by kchandlermusic; 10-30-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Least of evils when upgrading. (A few questions.)

Not worth it, sorry...
Old 10-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Default Least of evils when upgrading. (A few questions.)

I am not hearing the compelling reason that say you need to upgrade.

But if there is one, ... do not just upgrade your computer in-situ and walk blindly into the macOS upgrade valley of death.

Wait until High Sierra is supported by Pro Tools, then upgrade. But test it out, download the full installer and install High Sierra onto a new external drive, then install Pro Tools 12 on that (you can buy a one month subscription to test if you want) and install any third party plugins or other software. If all that works OK then you can move any documents and sessions etc. from the internal drive to the new drive and then clone everything back to the old drive. That way you still have your old working system just a reboot away while you test out all the new stuff. Doing a full clean install is also a good way of moving out old crap lying around.

Even with that approach make full backup on a separate drive before starting.

You also need to make sure you Mac has enough memory (like 16GB).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Unless you want to move up to a newer version of PT(as in 11 or 12), then I would leave all just as it is(no OS update and no PT update).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Why not buy a new hard drive or SSD, and install it in your MacBook Pro. Partition the drive, and clone your existing partition to one half, and install your new OS, and install the newer PT and plug-ins on the other. That way you can experiment to see which you prefer, and quickly reboot into whichever partition suits the project you need to work on.