Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Digi 002 Rack stopped working

I am running Pro Tools 7.1.1 on a Mac Pro (2.66 dual core processors) using a Digi 002 Rack. I have had no problems since I set all this up last September.

Today I had a session open and left to get some lunch. When I returned, the screen saver was on, which is normal. I hit the space bar, and the session came right up. Then I hit the space bar to start the song and nothing happened. I hit the space bar again -- still nothing. So, I put the mouse on the "play" button and clicked. A small box appeared with one of those moving bars (like the ones that show the status of a download) that said "closing [something - I don't know what]." When that box disappeared, I closed and saved the session, then quit Pro Tools.

When I tried to restart Pro Tools, I got the "Pro Tools can't find the hardware" message, so I wiggled the Fire Wire cable on the back of the 002 Rack (this has happened before, and usually can be cured by either wiggling the cable or moving it to the other Fire Wire port). Nothing. So I turned off the 002 Rack, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. Still nothing. I rebooted the computer and tried everything again. Still nothing.

So, I disconnected the Fire Wire from the 002 rack and tried to turn it on. The only things that happen when I try to turn the 002 Rack on are: the 44.1 sample rate LED flashes once, and the mute light comes on. Nothing else works. The "alternate source to monitor" button doesn't work, nor does the "mono" button. The mute lamp stays lit even when I press the "mute' button.

I reconnected the Fire Wire cable to the 0002 Rack, then tried to turn it on again. The "link" LED on the back of the unit flashed a couple of times, and I heard a clicking sound from the unit (kind of like the sound of a relay). Then the "link" LED went dark again. Same thing with the controls -- nothing. I disconnected/reconnected the Fire Wire cable at the computer, then tried again. Nothing.

Anyone had or heard of a problem like this?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 Rack stopped working

I am having the same exact problem. It started last night. I had it once before about 9 or 10 months ago and it seemed to correct itself while I was trying to get an answer from Digidesign tech support. I'm sorry I don't have any solution. This problem is why I'm on the DUC tonight.

When I had the problem before (I tried the things you menttioned in your message), the answer I got from tech support was that I needed a new power cable (??!!!) Seemed lame at the time, since the Mute LED lights up, the link LED on the back occasionally comes on for a second, and the optical out glows red.

I hope someone hears our cries for help!!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Try searching the DUC for the notorious Power Harness issue.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM

I get the same thing only no lights except for the mute button work. hitting all of the buttons does nothing. new firewire cable, different firewire port.nothing. Could the power harness really be the culprit? How do I check it? grrrrrrrr. macG5 dual 2G proc. 10.4.8.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 PM

ITS THE HARNESS CALL THEM AND THEY WILL SHIP ONE OUT NEXT DAY
768mg ram
002 Rack
4 BAY REMOVABLE Firewire Drive 120 gigs per bay
WAVES PLAT. & RESTORATION PLUGINS
Old 01-27-2007, 10:02 AM

I had this issue and had to replace this part inside. Call the place where you bought the 002. They will send this part for free. I can't think of the name but it is one of those flat grey computer cables. It is a known issue. I got mine from Sweetwater, and they knew about it.
good luck
Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful information. Makal22 -- the power harness is something different from the power cable. The power harness is generally (I haven't opened mine up yet) a multi-conductor wire with multi-conductor plugs on each end that sends the different voltages from the power supply to the different components of the unit. That's probably what digidesign was talking about when you spoke to them.

Again, thanks.

Bobby
Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM

Installed the new harness today. Mine was an older 002, so they said to replace the power supply too. That was it! It runs like bear now. Thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I am running Pro Tools 7.1.1 on a Mac Pro (2.66 dual core processors) using a Digi 002 Rack. I have had no problems since I set all this up last September.

Today I had a session open and left to get some lunch. When I returned, the screen saver was on, which is normal. I hit the space bar, and the session came right up. Then I hit the space bar to start the song and nothing happened. I hit the space bar again -- still nothing. So, I put the mouse on the "play" button and clicked. A small box appeared with one of those moving bars (like the ones that show the status of a download) that said "closing [something - I don't know what]." When that box disappeared, I closed and saved the session, then quit Pro Tools.

By the way, DIgi suggests disabling your screen saver and never allowing you computer to go to sleep. Set your monitors to turn off after 15 minutes instead of using a screen saver, and uncheck the box in your preferences to make sure you hard drives never turn off. Just thought I'd mention it.