Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Default I have to get a new MacBook Pro but it's not compatible

Looking on the Avid site, the latest qualified computer is the:
Late 2016 15" MacBookPro13,3 Quad-Core i7 'Skylake' 2.9 GHz

I need to get a 15" and I'm not seeing that model available anymore. Are the Late 2016
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core and 2017 models Pro Tools happy? This isn't a particular area I keep up with.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Default Re: I have to get a new MacBook Pro but it's not compatible

The hardware for a macBook Pro is really irrelevent for this, as long as you have a decent config powerful enough for what you intend to do. What you should be worrying about is what OS version is on the MBP (if new it will be High Sierra) and if your Pro Tools version, plugins and all other apps an utiltiies you need will actually work (an be officially supported is extra icing on the cake). You can find many posts on DUC giving status of what's working or not with MacOS High Sierra. You need to do that research here youeself, we have no idea what exactly you want to run with what plugins etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 AM

If that's the case, then I'm glad to hear it. I was specifically referring to the hardware. I'm aware of the High Sierra issues and will be looking for NOS MacBook. lol One with Sierra on it.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Avid are a bit odd with their 'officially supported' machines list.
It has always been quite limited but they are actually quite good about 'unofficially supporting' 'unsupported' machines (yes that is a lot of quote marks.)

Essentially they have a get out if your machine doesn't work for whatever reason.
In one way it is smart way to work.

I work for a different company doing tech support- today I've spent 4 hours today tech supporting a client who is using a non standard computer with an old, out-dated audio card, which is technically still on the supported list.

Sometimes you just want to say to the customer 'just go buy a more modern card/computer' but of course you can't do that.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Any i7 MBP will work as long as it has a min 8GB ram and a fast spinner or a SSD internal drive and Nothing over Sierra on it. We have MBP's from 2011 and forward running great. Don't read into the hardware specs too mich on Macs. They usually works great.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————