Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
How do you get the signal from one AUX track to another without buses?
There's no way. All aux tracks have input and output point in the mixer. Aux1 outputs to bus1-2 for example, and then Aux2 inputs that bus1-2 and so on...
Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There's no way. All aux tracks have input and output point in the mixer. Aux1 outputs to bus1-2 for example, and then Aux2 inputs that bus1-2 and so on...
What I've been doing is going right from an aux out to an aux in without first going to a bus. Sure it might use a bus in the background but you don't have to think about assignments to buses. Sure you can route an aux out to a bus and then pick up that bus on an aux in but it's simpler the way I've been doing it (and it works).

QAPLA!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Sure you can route an aux out to a bus and then pick up that bus on an aux in but it's simpler the way I've been doing it (and it works).
Definitely a time saver, since it automatically assigns the output to a bus, renames the bus, and then assigns it to the input of the destination track.

But like you said, it's still using the internal buses. It may be more direct in terms of user commands, but it still follows the same signal flow.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Default VI Delay Comp Issue-one resolution

Rather than add to the massive thread going on here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350529

I figured I'd start another thread with the resolution I found (someone on the previously mentioned thread mentioned as well). The issue appears to be related to INSTRUMENT tracks specifically. I created a instrument track with Superior Drummer instantiated, then routed the snare out multi-out 3 (in the plugin). Then created 2 aux channels with SD out 3 as their input. One channel has delay inducing plugins, the other none. In this scenario the snare phases badly between the two aux channels. NOW I simply drag the SD plugin to an AUDIO channel and the the phasing goes away. SO, it appears that this is an issue with delay reporting from INSTRUMENT channels, but NOT from AUDIO channels.

Seems the simple work around is to keep VI's on AUDIO channels til AVID fixes the Instrument track problem.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Default Re: VI Delay Comp Issue-one resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Rather than add to the massive thread going on here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350529

I figured I'd start another thread with the resolution I found (someone on the previously mentioned thread mentioned as well). The issue appears to be related to INSTRUMENT tracks specifically. I created a instrument track with Superior Drummer instantiated, then routed the snare out multi-out 3 (in the plugin). Then created 2 aux channels with SD out 3 as their input. One channel has delay inducing plugins, the other none. In this scenario the snare phases badly between the two aux channels. NOW I simply drag the SD plugin to an AUDIO channel and the the phasing goes away. SO, it appears that this is an issue with delay reporting from INSTRUMENT channels, but NOT from AUDIO channels.

Seems the simple work around is to keep VI's on AUDIO channels til AVID fixes the Instrument track problem.
Hi Tim,

For me this doesn´t really work.
I have tested this with both EZ drummer and NI Studio drummer.
I might have been doing something wrong though.
So I'm going to try to describe what I've done and where it doesn't work.

Yes, the set up you are describing does work as you are describing it.
Those two tracks play back without phasing when I put the VI on a audio track.

But only compared to each other, and that's where the problems are.
They do not play in sync with the metronome on the click track.
Neither do the play back in sync with other audio tracks.

As I said, I might have been setting this up wrong.
But it would be very good if you could verify that you get this to work compared to other audio tracks and the click track.

And when you test this, please use plugins that causes a lot of delay, just to be sure.

Best regards,
Markus
Intel Core i5 2,4 GHz 8GB
Pro Tools 2018.4
Eleven Rack + Expansion pack
RME Fireface UCX
Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Hey Markus, You are correct. I added another AUDIO channel with a duplicate SD plugin playing the same snare. THAT track phases with the other SD tracks no matter where they sit. BUT, when the original SD plugin is on the audio track the delay reported from the aux channel plugins is correct, so I was able to use the "user offset" to manually set the delay. Not the best solution, but better than bouncing/nudging in my mind. Still doesn't change the fact that AVID needs to address the issue or change the name from "Automatic Delay Compensation" to "Sometimes Automatic Delay Compensation".

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Hey Markus, You are correct. I added another AUDIO channel with a duplicate SD plugin playing the same snare. THAT track phases with the other SD tracks no matter where they sit. BUT, when the original SD plugin is on the audio track the delay reported from the aux channel plugins is correct, so I was able to use the "user offset" to manually set the delay. Not the best solution, but better than bouncing/nudging in my mind. Still doesn't change the fact that AVID needs to address the issue or change the name from "Automatic Delay Compensation" to "Sometimes Automatic Delay Compensation".
Hi Tim,

Thanks for testing this and confirming.
I missed that part a while ago my self (to test against other tracks).
It´s easy to miss something like that and that is why I think it is so important that Avid get this to work properly.

In that case I would say that it is better to just use the user offset (and the "Disable Plug-in delay"), which is described in this thread (and others):
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2118677&postcount=22

Or the one were you put each multi out VI through another aux track as described here:
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=173

Both of these are working good and both of them have their pros and cons but they are working as far as I have seen.
And they are both better than bouncing/nudging for those who want to change their arrangement often.

But as you said "Sometimes Automatic Delay Compensation" would be a better name at the moment

Best regards,
Markus
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Could someone comment on whether the bug occurs when a stereo version of a multi-out VI is used? e.g. Superior Drummer 2. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmooveTaste View Post
Could someone comment on whether the bug occurs when a stereo version of a multi-out VI is used? e.g. Superior Drummer 2. Thanks.
Yes it does.
I cannot test with Superior because I don't have that one.
But with EZ drummer as well as with NI Abbey roads the problem occurs in stereo instances.

I hope I didn't misunderstand you now and that you really was referring to just using Superior on a stereo instrument track and not routing the kick, snare and so on to their own separate tracks?

It is easy to test, just put 2 Maxim on one track, 3 on another and 4 on a third and compare it to the click track and other audio/instrument tracks.
I do it all the time just to be sure all is well
(which it is not in a multi out setup )

Best regards,
Markus
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surstromming View Post
Yes it does.
I hope I didn't misunderstand you now and that you really was referring to just using Superior on a stereo instrument track and not routing the kick, snare and so on to their own separate tracks?
That is what I meant. I will try it when I get a chance. Thanks for replying.