Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Re: PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
I think you're misunderstanding, if you have licenses for PTHD 10, you should be able to upgrade them all to PTHD 11. Some old hardware isn't supported, but you have the ability to run them with third party hardware (or possibly old Avid hardware but without use of the dap) and have all the advanced features.
i think you can upgrade them. As I said all they will look for is the license on your ilok to be surrendered.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
The other side of this is:

Avid has never supported the purchase of HD software without hardware.

The CPTK was offered to unlock HD software features for non-HD users.

Avid has not promised that this CPTK product would never reach EOL, as most products eventually do.

As an act of support to those holding a CPTK license, Avid has waived the required HD hardware stipulation and allowed CPTK2 license holders to obtain HD11 licenses for a nominal fee of $999. Instead of the thousands of dollars everyone else must spend to purchase HD11 outright.

As to the difference in cost of an upgrade for current HD hardware owners vs. non-HD hardware owners... Well, the hardware owners have already paid the premium that the CPTK2 folks are now being asked to pay. The $400. difference is the price we pay for owning an HD license without HD hardware. This is a first and likely the last time this will ever happen. Pro Tools is returning to the model that worked well for many years... If you need HD features, purchase an HD system. CPTK2 holders are the lucky ones that can get around this.
If what Tom wrote above is correct then you are wrong, and only CPTK2 license owners can do this and for all other use cases Avid PTHD hardware is required.
Please read the above, especially the last two sentences, and say that I'm wrong. I'd love to be!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

And let me add what I said before. The old CEO and corporate steroid dudes made a huge mistake by giving people hd features of protools 10 for only $400 while charging people who actually bought their hardware $1000. THIS shaped the market and people decided its cheaper to not buy avid's hardware and so they didn't. Well duh. That detached fool is fired (and sucked his millions out of avid) and policy is going back to what it should of been all along.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Tom wrote that they never sold the HD software without hardware, which is true. But that software runs without hardware, giving you the option to do that. He was specifically saying that people can't buy those features any more, but if you already have the HD software, it's not going away.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikGuldager View Post
If what Tom wrote above is correct then you are wrong, and only CPTK2 license owners can do this and for all other use cases Avid PTHD hardware is required.
Please read the above, especially the last two sentences, and say that I'm wrong. I'd love to be!

Part of the benefit of having a hd license is you can now take it "on the road". If they removed this feature there would be much more talk about it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikGuldager View Post

CPTK2 was the only one mentioned, however I bet this will include all CPTK assets, as they are the same ilok auth.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
Tom wrote that they never sold the HD software without hardware, which is true. But that software runs without hardware, giving you the option to do that. He was specifically saying that people can't buy those features any more, but if you already have the HD software, it's not going away.
Right. PT11 and PT11HD software (as it stands now) will run on 3rd party interfaces VIA ASIO.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

I'll say it again. I can deal with having to move to HD and pay HD upgrade fees. I don't like it. And wish I had done what I thought was the wrong thing and bought an HD license. That would actually have worked out better for me. I was even thinking the upgrade might be more than the last one at $299. Hoping not but thinking for a whole new pro tools it could be $349-449. I had talked myself into that. And in all honesty I could manage $599 and enter the world of owning a true HD license.

But why am I having to pay a $400 premium?? That's my sticking point.

If they added unlimited (or at least 64 or more) channels of I/O, I can start to see it. They may have I don't know.

If they added the ability for me to use Heat. Even better. And again they may have. We don't know. I know heat has been tied to DSP in the past. But how exactly is that going to work with the new offline bounce? Seems it has to work in native mode at some capacity.

Will I have any other new features that were once HD hardware/software combo only with a pt11hd license?

If some of those are yes, I can start to see it. But if I'm paying a $400 premium and still locked out of some HD hardware only features and limited I/O, I don't understand their reasoning.

Give me something for that extra $400 or charge me the same as an HD license owner. That's all I'm saying.

I've always anticipated and quickly payed for every update they've ever released. I've made sure I'm AAX ready. There's only one plug (Cytomic's the glue) in my library that's not already AAX. I was excited and ready. Heck if someone can explain the $400 premium I'd probably still do it. But at this point I don't understand and will not upgrade. I'm sure some of you agree. Hopefully avid takes note. I will spend my upgrade money elsewhere.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
CPTK2 was the only one mentioned, however I bet this will include all CPTK assets, as they are the same ilok auth.
But a HD license does not contain a CPTK aset as far as I can tell, splash screens are different depending on what ilok I use in PT10 at least. And on my ilok key there is no CPTK just a full HD license.

Tom, any chance you could find a way to get a official answer for me?
I know quite a few old PTHD users that kept and upgraded their PTHD licenses to get the functionality but didn't keep or use any hardware.

Quote:
Right. PT11 and PT11HD software (as it stands now) will run on 3rd party interfaces VIA ASIO.]
Will a PT11HD run with full HD functionality on 3rd patry interfaces, THAT is the big question?

Sorry to sound like a broken record here... Don't really mean to be a prick I'm just trying to understand if we will be able to keep working or not with our existing hardware-less concept. And just to make a point, we never bought licenses without hardware, we just stopped upgrading hardware we didn't need and kept upgrading the licenses.

Last edited by ErikGuldager; 04-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The other side of this is:

Avid has never supported the purchase of HD software without hardware.

The CPTK was offered to unlock HD software features for non-HD users.

Avid has not promised that this CPTK product would never reach EOL, as most products eventually do.

[snip]

Pro Tools is returning to the model that worked well for many years... If you need HD features, purchase an HD system. CPTK2 holders are the lucky ones that can get around this.
This is all true, Tom, but I still feel it's a huge mistake to restrict what in competitors' software is basic functionality from PT basic. In particular, I think Avid should open surround and automation in the basic software, at a minimum, to remain competitive and to allow a degree of portability for folks taking work home on a laptop (for instance). Leave HD for the folks who can truly benefit from DSP, higher track counts, VCAs and advanced metering.

Chris