Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Updated to Yosmite then installed PT11 and now it won't open. Please help!

This may have been asked a bunch of times but i don't seem to be able to find the answer to my problem.

i have a macbook pro (mid 2010 model) and had not updated the software since then. recently i had to update to yosemite so that i could use some software. i know yosemite sucks but i was in a rush and had no choice.

Anyway now i have pro tools 11 and would like it on my macbook. i have installed everything but whenever i go to open pro tools i get the purple box where the loading bar is but it never loads. just stay on 0% and then i have to force quit after a long time of waiting.

i'm assuming its because of yosemite but i've read that other people with PT11 and yosemite are running fine. is that because they already had PT11 installed before they updated to the new OSX? or is there something i've missed to install in the first place?

is there anything i can try? or do i have to wait till avid release an update that supports yosemite?

thanks for any advice and sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times already >_<
Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Updated to Yosmite then installed PT11 and now it won't open. Please help!

Welcome to the forum.

Never ever upgrade OSX if you want to use PT with it. Always do a fresh clean install on an empty hard drive.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Updated to Yosmite then installed PT11 and now it won't open. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigfoll View Post
This may have been asked a bunch of times but i don't seem to be able to find the answer to my problem.

i have a macbook pro (mid 2010 model) and had not updated the software since then. recently i had to update to yosemite so that i could use some software. i know yosemite sucks but i was in a rush and had no choice.

Anyway now i have pro tools 11 and would like it on my macbook. i have installed everything but whenever i go to open pro tools i get the purple box where the loading bar is but it never loads. just stay on 0% and then i have to force quit after a long time of waiting.

i'm assuming its because of yosemite but i've read that other people with PT11 and yosemite are running fine. is that because they already had PT11 installed before they updated to the new OSX? or is there something i've missed to install in the first place?

is there anything i can try? or do i have to wait till avid release an update that supports yosemite?

thanks for any advice and sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times already >_<
I was about to buy pt11 cause I did the same mistake buy downloading YoSemite on my Mac .I have protools 9 and it won't let me open cause it's not compatible with it . I was about to buy 11 iintill I seen this post . This sucks cause I don't know what to do and I don't know how long it will take so they have up and running
Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Never ever upgrade OSX if you want to use PT with it. Always do a fresh clean install on an empty hard drive.
so what do i do if i haven't done this? am i screwed now? i'm guessing i just have to sit around till avid patch it?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigfoll View Post
so what do i do if i haven't done this? am i screwed now? i'm guessing i just have to sit around till avid patch it?
No, you just backup your personal data, wipe the hard drive, and start over.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Updated to Yosmite then installed PT11 and now it won't open. Please help!

Hello- I just got my new MacBook Pro in the last month & haven't used it yet other than turn it on once. It came with maverick on it. Do you guys think I should just leave maverick & then install pro tools 11? Or should I install pro tools 11 & then upgrade to Yosemite? I'm unclear of the process as well as if Yosemite is indeed stable at this point.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:16 AM

Read the read me and also the Pro tools Page on Avid.com, it is clearly stated that Yosemite is not yet supported by Avid. So don't update unless you want to risk having problems that you will not be able to get help with.

And before we get a Why hasn't Avid yet supported Yosemite it's been 2 months..

Well it's only been two months and Avid doesn't change quickly into new os's, why?

Media composer
Pro tools
Sybelius
Eucon
S6's line drivers
S3's line drivers
Venue's line drivers
Icon's line drivers
System 5's lines drivers
Max air drivers
C|24 Drivers
Artist's line drivers
Fast track's line drivers
Eleven rack drivers
Mbox line's drivers
Air speed 5000 and 5500 drivers

And well just look at this page to see all that needs to worked on and tested by Avid before it can safely approve a new os, make sure to click on the view all in the list to be Godsmacked by all the products Avid has to test.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/list

Wave-T.com
Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. I'll probably just stay with Maverick then until Yosemite is approved unless I'm feeling lucky today lol!
And dang that is a lot of testing to be done. Ok I won't hold it against them then since it's only been 2 months lol.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Wave-T.com
Old 12-15-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Read the read me and also the Pro tools Page on Avid.com, it is clearly stated that Yosemite is not yet supported by Avid. So don't update unless you want to risk having problems that you will not be able to get help with.

And before we get a Why hasn't Avid yet supported Yosemite it's been 2 months..

Well it's only been two months and Avid doesn't change quickly into new os's, why?

Media composer
Pro tools
Sybelius
Eucon
S6's line drivers
S3's line drivers
Venue's line drivers
Icon's line drivers
System 5's lines drivers
Max air drivers
C|24 Drivers
Artist's line drivers
Fast track's line drivers
Eleven rack drivers
Mbox line's drivers
Air speed 5000 and 5500 drivers

And well just look at this page to see all that needs to worked on and tested by Avid before it can safely approve a new os, make sure to click on the view all in the list to be Godsmacked by all the products Avid has to test.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/list
I'm sorry if I'm so vocal on this subject, but someone has to continue the dialogue.

I wish I could agree with you, but let's be honest - well more than half of that list are plug-ins from other venders. Even the first page has items from Line 6, McDSP, etc. It also contains legacy products and RTAS only plug-ins. These are for other people to test once Avid actually release a new, qualified version.

I also own Media Composer and it was qualified rather quickly after 10.10 came out. I also believe Sibelius was qualified as soon as 10.10 came out. This is all besides the point, being I'd assume Avid has separate divisions working on all of their products.

I'll agree with you on the amount of drivers needed to qualify and test. I'll also agree that it's going to be a large amount of work. They even have an extensive list of AIR and Pro plug-ins, but those shouldn't need much change past the yellow GUI errors that occur every year - as long as the base program (PT11) is qualified to host them correctly in 10.10. Waves had their hundreds of plugs qualified in a week or two.

What I still can't agree on is timeframe. Why? Still my same opinion as before... If Avid is including support programs into their subscription billing as a standard, they sure better spees up support or at least be a little more active in including release timelines / thoughts on issues. Not everyone's computer is a dedicated ProTools workstation.

I've been watching this same discussion every year since 10.5 I believe, if not Tiger. It's become a joke with my audio friends, because over the years we've even seen official responses mentioning they can't release a timeline because of investors. Wouldn't investors also like to know how quickly you're attending to one of your top software platforms?

I'm sorry this discussion always makes me feel so heated. Sure, computer software manufacturers owe nothing to their clientele base by law... We saw a lot of this discussion with the introduction to AAX. Though, my point still applies - if people are paying for service now... service them. This OS was probably the lighest change in the last few years aside from stored kext-signing. Just would love to continue using my other devices with iCloud Drive and all the other tech advancements and enhancements that seem rather far from reach.

If you owned an impressive app, wouldn't you want it ready for launch as well?