How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 AM

Default PT Learner here - Very quick simple help please

Hello,
I have used cubase for many many many years and finally ive moved over to PT... very happy so far, had a session with my drummer today and ive picked up a lot of it very quickly. There are some things I am still unsure on so far... simple things which will make life a lot easier.

Question 1
When recording drums I have 10 tracks recording all at once... I also track the drums bit by bit to get it perfect. meaning I have 20 tracks for drums where I use 10 at a time to do a bit of the drums then switch the the other 10 tracks, if you follow :)
Basically, when I want to record the 10 tracks, I have to record enable them by clicking the red button for every track. Surely, there must be a shortut to select them and enable them auto or with a button????

Question 2
Where is the setting to stop the 8 bar count-in when I start recording (I click the 3 button to start recording). It clicks 8 beats then starts recording. Is there a shortcut or somewhere where I can alter this on and off..???

Question 3
Finally, I saw somewhere you can do takes on a track such as the guitar track to create like 4 versions of the track and just right click to select which one you want to go with. I am vaguely sure this might be called playlisting.. again don't know. Might be.. I am just a PT learner at the moment so yeah.. but could someone please tell me how to work this feature so I can use it on my recordings.
Also, if I was wanting to create multitrack versions, such as different takes for drums, I would have 10 tracks and a version for each track. Is there a simple way to switch between versions without having to click them and select the take individually?

THANKYOUU!! Please can someone help me answer all of the above.. im only 17 and still a learner.. especially on Pro Tools 9 :)

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Re: PT Learner here - Very quick simple help please

Question 1
Create a group for your drums

Question 2
Setup-->Click/Count Off--> set the number of Bars

Question 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEIl92gutlM
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Ahh, thank you very much and thanks for taking the time...

I am just having one more problem... with AudioSuite.

I am wanting to add a pitch shift plugin on a track, I can't use it RTAS as the delay compensation is too much for it.. so I need to process the audio track.
The problem is, when I process the track, it isn't affected. I don't know what is wrong, it might be how I do it, I don't know..

My processes are:
1) using the selector tool to select the audio I want to change
2) Click the AudioSuite tab and select my pitch shift plugin
3) Edit the effect how I want it
4) Click process

I now play it back and it is left unchanged :/
Also, it is not the fact it is a pitch shift.. It is the same for all plugins, even EQ. I preview and they sound processed, but they don't process...

If you could help me with this please..?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM

1a) Make a group by selecting the tracks, and hit Command-G (Ctrl-G on PC). Check that the group attributes are set to your liking. I think "Follow globals" is the default, so you'll have to check what those are.

1b) If you don't want to make a group you can select the tracks, and Option-Shift-click (Alt-Shift-click on PC) the record button on one of them.

2) 8 on the numpad toggles Countoff on/off when the Numeric keypad mode is set to Transport. You can double-click the countoff button icon in the transport window to change the length.

I'll shut up now - I'm still on PT 7.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I now play it back and it is left unchanged :/
Enable "Use in playlist" from within the AS plugin GUI.