Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Default Ozone 8 to Ozone 9 patch transition? (..& Izotope plugins in general)

I'm currently going though the joys of shifting from PT10HD/Mavericks..to PTUltimate2020/Catalina & updating all my plugins.

I've used Ozone 8 (standard) pretty extensively over the last 5 years & It does still load & recall in OSX10.15 , but crashes if you use the assistant/analysis feature

I just installed a trial of Ozone 9. It works well & has some nice new features……but….it won’t load up an Ozone 8 patch.

I’m guessing this is the same for all Izotope stuff ? Neutron 2 to Neutron 3 , nectar to Nectar 3 etc ??

This does lead to something of a dilemma, as I’m not begrudging the upgrade fee, but it means that older mixes simply won’t recall, a pretty big issue if you’ve used (for instance) neutron as your main eq over multiple channels.

Pro Tools sees the new versions, as essentially completely new plugins, with no relation to the older one.

Any work arounds? Or is this just another thing to be wary of when moving forward…

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 10-09-2020, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Ozone 8 to Ozone 9 patch transition? (..& Izotope plugins in general)

You simply leave your old installs which will recall the old versions of Izotope plugins and then do your best to replace them with similar settings or if things are working fine just roll with the old.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Ozone 8 to Ozone 9 patch transition? (..& Izotope plugins in general)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHollow View Post
You simply leave your old installs which will recall the old versions of Izotope plugins and then do your best to replace them with similar settings or if things are working fine just roll with the old.
There should be no problem having both versions installed at the same time. I know for iZotope RX I have both RX 6 and RX7 installed on my Mac. One reason Ozone 9 might not load up an Ozone 8 patch is differences in Ozone itself whether 9 has the same modules as 8 has. Can't remember which version change it was where iZotope removed the reverb module in a newer version of Ozone (I think it may have been going from V5 to V6).

QAPLA!
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There should be no problem having both versions installed at the same time. I know for iZotope RX I have both RX 6 and RX7 installed on my Mac. One reason Ozone 9 might not load up an Ozone 8 patch is differences in Ozone itself whether 9 has the same modules as 8 has. Can't remember which version change it was where iZotope removed the reverb module in a newer version of Ozone (I think it may have been going from V5 to V6).
Quote:
Cheers for the reply..yeah I don't want or need Ozone 9, but it seems Ozone 8 isn't stable with Ultimate 2020.9.

Projects with Ozone 8 are at least recalling, but make Pro Tools unstable, so are not a long term solution.

..& this is the problem...I should imagine in a couple of OS updates time Ozone 8 will not load at all.

Compare this to (for instance) a stock AVID plugin, or even something like Sonnox inflator, or any of the excellent Stephen Massey range, where I can recall on old PT8 session & all the settings will load up just fine.

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 10-09-2020, 07:08 AM

Yeah, their plugins crash my sessions all the time. Really unstable stuff. Neutron 2 is the worst.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah, their plugins crash my sessions all the time. Really unstable stuff. Neutron 2 is the worst.
Never had a crash problem with iZotope plugins and that's over at least a decade's worth of usage.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-10-2020 at 04:20 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
Old 10-09-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Never had a crash problem with iZotope plugins and that's over at elasy a decade's worth of usage.
Me neither. If you can get Ozone 8 to open on the screen, just open Ozone 9 next to it and match settings(then save as presets for Ozone 9). Then you can remove 8 for your system

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-10-2020, 03:35 AM

There is a workaround. You save the settings in Ozone 8 inside the plugin, not in the protools settings. Then you navigate to where that preset is lurking and move it into the same location in Ozone 9 and now you can open that old preset in Ozone 9. Google for more details if needed. I have done it once... Half a year ago. It works.

So, I checked... It is in Users/your name/documents/iZotope/Ozone 8/Presets/Global Presets

then just move it or copy it to Users/your name/documents/iZotope/Ozone 9/Presets/Global Presets

Phone +46707773443
Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Cheers for the reply..yeah I don't want or need Ozone 9, but it seems Ozone 8 isn't stable with Ultimate 2020.9.

Projects with Ozone 8 are at least recalling, but make Pro Tools unstable, so are not a long term solution.

..& this is the problem...I should imagine in a couple of OS updates time Ozone 8 will not load at all.

Compare this to (for instance) a stock AVID plugin, or even something like Sonnox inflator, or any of the excellent Stephen Massey range, where I can recall on old PT8 session & all the settings will load up just fine.
I agree with you regarding the iZotope business model. Seems they update about once a year or so and then abandon the older version. Leaving you hanging if you want to upgrade your DAW/OS and be able to open old sessions. I've gotten pretty selective about which of their products I purchase for that very reason. I recently did the upgrade from PT10 too and ran into some of these same problems. Thankfully, I've never depended on iZotope for anything major. I'm glad I didn't like Neutron and never bought it. I'm sure it would be a mess trying to bring old sessions back to life that are filled with that plugin in. I'm very cautious about which plugins I include in my template for these very reasons.

Like you said stock plugs-ins, Sonnox, and Massey always open and work like they always have for me.There is something nice about having tools that you know and trust that get the job done with out getting "improved" every year or two.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
There is a workaround. You save the settings in Ozone 8 inside the plugin, not in the protools settings. Then you navigate to where that preset is lurking and move it into the same location in Ozone 9 and now you can open that old preset in Ozone 9. Google for more details if needed. I have done it once... Half a year ago. It works.

So, I checked... It is in Users/your name/documents/iZotope/Ozone 8/Presets/Global Presets

then just move it or copy it to Users/your name/documents/iZotope/Ozone 9/Presets/Global Presets
That's a great trick. Thank you.

I gave in & upgraded to V9 in the end, & this has been super helpful for session recall, as I was mid project when my Mac died & I made the jump to PT Ultimate from PT10HD

I have to say the same preset doesn't sound 100% the same when loaded into Ozone 9 (nor does it phase-reverse null) but its pretty close.

Cheers again