How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Dropbox – Mac OS X – Alias of 'Recording Files' folder

Hi all,

TLDR; Will Pro Tools 11 run session files from an alias of 'Recording files' folder?

I want my session files to be automatically backed-up in DropBox. I've searched for an answer to this, but haven't seen anything apart from going through each session and clicking 'save copy in' one's Dropbox folder.

As DropBox is saved locally, but backed up in the cloud, it should be no problem to run sessions from your local 'Dropbox' folder. As such, I want to move my 'Recording files' folder to DropBox and create an alias of 'Recording files' to leave in the original folder [/Macintosh/Pro Tools/]. Obviously, I'd ensure the alias had the exact same name and location of the original folder.

Is there any reason this shouldn't work? That is, will Pro Tools be happy to follow an alias folder?

Many thanks,
z

Additional explanation: This approach will ensure that my recording files will always be updated each time I've made changes to a session. This is an automated solution to what would otherwise be a tedious drag-n-drop post every change to a session.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Lightbulb Re: Dropbox – Mac OS X – Alias of 'Recording Files' folder

You may want a hard link, as described in What Are Aliases, Symbolic Links, and Hard Links in Mac OS X?.

If you have Pro Tools | HD, you should have no problem running the session from a Dropbox folder, as you would have access to the Disk Cache (Setup-->Playback Engine). Set the Disk Cache high enough so that it caches all of the audio in your clip list and you should be ok.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Dropbox – Mac OS X – Alias of 'Recording Files' folder

There used to be a Briefcase folder on Windows that supposedly does what the OP wants, I never tried it but maybe there's a similar thing on Mac.