Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Mac PPC with expansion chassis, Intel Mac, or Windows

I'll be posting this same question on both the Windows and Mac HD forums.

I haven't done all my homework yet, but I've decided I need to move off of my G5 in the next few months or so to be able to keep updated with PT, and there are lots of other programs I like that will run on Intel Mac or Windows, but not PPC Mac anymore .

So the question is do I spend a bunch of money to go Intel Mac and Magna chassis to continue to use my HD3 PCI cards, or do I consider moving over to Windows, where I'm guessing I can build/buy a computer with up to date processors but still have PCI slots.

Any thoughts on this? I'm guessing I can save a couple thousand bucks.

Media Man

G5 Leopard 10.5.8
PT 8.0
HD 3
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Mac PPC with expansion chassis, Intel Mac, or Windows

Maybe a mention of which programs you want to use would help guide the advice here(for instance, if you really wanted to run WaveLab for mastering, then PC would get a point in its favor). Having said that, even as a Windows fan, if you are comfy on a Mac, then I recommend staying with a Mac. Before you relegate yourself to the older PCI cards, check with some dealers to see what kind of trade in/trade up deals might be available. The cost might be just as attractive as shopping for the Magma chassis

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM

Many of the programs I am referring to are not necessarily audio programs.

A new Intel Mac is going to cost at least $2500, if not more should I decide to go with more Cores for future updates, etc.

I think the best I can do on a Magna chassis is going to be $1700+. I don't think there is an upgrade path for HD3 to PCIe for that little cash, but I will take your advice and check with a couple of dealers.

I'm guessing for $1000 I can build a powerful i7 or for a couple more hundred, a real monster.

I am not so concerned about "comfort level" on a PC, but more concerned about Pro Tools performance.

Media Man
Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Hey MM,
I faced the same decision here...
an 8core MacPro with enuf memory was going to be $3500, and the crossgrade was what, $3750? The chassis was around $2000... this year has been really tough biz-wise, so I just didn't have the capital to do it, and going into debt for computer based HW is a big no-no in my book...

Take it FWIW, since it's only been a week on the new system, but so far performance has been excellent. I've been a mac guy for 15 years and the transition work-wise has been pretty simple. Only had to upgrade two of our plugs (DUY & MDW). The machine's dead quiet (I replaced fans/psu/cooler with stuff from endpcnoise.com). Total in the machine is $1150 now.

The learning curve to build the PC was kinda' time-consuming, but I'm NOT very computer-savvy, honestly. There aren't a whole bunch of PCI mobos that will allow an HD3 that are still available. Micro center near us happened to have 2 of the discontinued GA-p55-ud3l. In the end, I learned a ton and now feel confident that I can fix this rig if something goes wrong, as well as upgrade/update it VERY easily.

Whatever your decision, I hope you get a stable system that allows you to concentrate on creating music instead of being a computer repair man.
IHTH!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 AM

If you are comfortable building a good spec pc then that is a good option. Use recommended components and a major brand, powerful power supply. I did this and it is extremely stable..much more so than the Mac i used before or others since. To be honest once you are inside PT you won't really notice any difference. The best thing about PC though is unlike Mac OS, PT doesn't "break" every time the OS gets updated.. quite a time saver i can tell you. I have been using PT on an XP system now for over 5 years and never had any problems. Dont forget, Avid's live system runs on XP..think how stable that needs to be!
If you aren't that techy, the Magma is the best option, as you can fill it with currently cheap cards and still use it with either Mac or PC in the future!
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Any one else happy moving from Mac to PC and taking your PCIx cards along?

Love to hear about your systems and the stability and performance differences if any.

Media Man

Mac G5 Leopard 10.5.8
PT 8, HD3

looking for a better (more affordable) upgrade path than $4.5K (or more) worth of Intel Mac and Magma chassis.