Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Smart Code Pro - Files \'Pumping\' On PCs

I've posted this question to UA as well, but maybe someone here has the answer. I'm using SCP Dolby to software encode DVD menu audio.

Apparently, the house DVD authorer complains of a 'pumping' upon playback of an authored dvd on pc's and macs alike. The strange thing is that there isn't any pumping if the dvd is played back on Consumer Playback Decks. Here are my settings when encoding:

Audio coding mode: L/R
Bitstream Mode: Complete Main
Dialog Norm: -27 db
Dynamic Range Compression: None
Input Filtering: DC Highpass Filter ON
Bandwith Lowpass Filter ON

Old 03-31-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Smart Code Pro - Files \'Pumping\' On PCs

lefty-

most likely what is happening is that you have a fairly loud source material... this is probably causing the AC3 compression codec to kick in (Dont' confuse this with the AGC that's always on in AC3..). The reason that the consumer deck isn't exhibiting this is most likely that the Decoder is set to ignore the Dolby Meta-data (The Dia Norm, down mixing, room size etc...) Try to see if the receiver has this feature and if so, turn it off. If the pumping goes away, then there's your issue. to Fix this, you have to encode your AC3 with the proper Dia norm setting (If your program is hot, then I guarantee that it's hotter than -27dB).

-Todd A.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I've posted this question to UA as well, but maybe someone here has the answer. I'm using SCP Dolby to software encode DVD menu audio.

Apparently, the house DVD authorer complains of a 'pumping' upon playback of an authored dvd on pc's and macs alike. The strange thing is that there isn't any pumping if the dvd is played back on Consumer Playback Decks. Here are my settings when encoding:

Audio coding mode: L/R
Bitstream Mode: Complete Main
Dialog Norm: -27 db
Dynamic Range Compression: None
Input Filtering: DC Highpass Filter ON
Bandwith Lowpass Filter ON

This is a common symptom of the encoding parameter for RF overmodulation being left ON. Unfortunately, I don't believe Smart Code Pro implements this part of the Dolby spec...at least the older versions didn't. I haven't checked the version for HD.

www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 04-01-2004, 01:04 PM

I've seen this in a DVD I bought last year. It would pump in the Mac but never on a standalone player. I thought that I had a bad pressing (or more likely that they realised they had an error on their hands and re-mastered it) so I bought another one, same thing. Annoying!