Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Re: AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 2.0 Upgrade Path (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifbangpow View Post
yeah. This is ridiculous.

I bought a new computer to make protools 9 run better (needed dedicated graphics card). Then i had to buy protools 11 cause pt9 would no longer compatible with new windows 8 (which is crappy to begin with) on my new computer. Then i had to buy all new expansion pack 2 at full price because pt11 isn't compatible with instrument expansion pack 1. I really hope the rest of my plugins are compatible,,, because i'm not yet done updating and all ready i'm in way over my head. Not to mention the support center charges are just outrageous.

I get the concept of paying for an upgrade every few years. But usually that means a few hundred dollars and a download. It's incredibly frustrating that they're bleeding their loyal customers dry at every opportunity. I want to continue using the daw i'm most fond of, but at these gouging price practices i'm not sure i can take it much longer. Avid, please consider lessoning the blow on your customers before you lose us by the millions.
do your homework!!!!!!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifbangpow View Post
Yeah. This is ridiculous.

I bought a new computer to make protools 9 run better (needed dedicated graphics card). Then I had to buy protools 11 cause PT9 would no longer compatible with new windows 8 (which is crappy to begin with) on my new computer. Then I had to buy all new expansion pack 2 at full price because PT11 isn't compatible with instrument expansion pack 1. I really hope the rest of my plugins are compatible,,, because I'm not yet done updating and all ready I'm in way over my head. Not to mention the support center charges are just outrageous.

I get the concept of paying for an upgrade every few years. But usually that means a few hundred dollars and a download. It's incredibly frustrating that they're bleeding their loyal customers dry at every opportunity. I want to continue using the DAW I'm most fond of, but at these gouging price practices I'm not sure I can take it much longer. Avid, please consider lessoning the blow on your customers before you lose us by the millions.
Man...you are not prepared. Curious why you have support center charges....you should get that here for free. Hope you don't go broke!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 PM

Yep same story - never ending upgrades and sales - not to mention actual hardware units

I have actually stopped looking at most email sales campaigns b/c I'm tired of buying stuff

I really just need a few more UA plugs and a solid state pre along with a 1k mic and the new x-touch then I'm done (I hope)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Looks like they've removed the upgrade path for V1 users now.

So now, after I paid $499 for the Expansion Pack about five years ago (or thereabouts), they want me to pay the full price ($299) all over again. So my original investment of $499 is apparently worth nothing to them.

I emailed them about it and they just pointed me to the 'upgrade' page that only reflects the full price. I emailed back twice querying how I can get the discount, and they ignored both emails. Their own website even contradicts itself. They clearly offer the $129 upgrade price from the product page but disappears when you click on it. They simply add $299 to your order and expect or hope that you won't question it. To contradict themselves further, they only publish the 'upgrade price' of $299 (same as full price) in a hard-to-find knowledge base article (last page).

These guys look pretty amateur to me. They could've got $129 out of me but treating me like a chump is, well, treating me like a chump. They won't get any more money from me.

Lose-lose for both parties.

Last edited by niktu; 11-23-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:06 PM

From here:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/...k#.VlP7617M8g4

Click the Yellow Upgrade button
Scroll to the bottom of the list:
Upgrade the Pro Tools Expansion Pack v1 or (1) 2.0 instrument to the full 2.0.5 pack for Mac & PC
$129.99 Upgrade Now
Enter your promo code at checkout to receive discount pricing. Learn More

Get your Promo Code here:
http://www.airmusictech.com/PROMOCODES

AIR Upgrades
Email Notification Utility

This utility will look up any eligible upgrades associated with your email address. Upon submission, you will receive an email containing details about upgrade eligibility for your prior purchases.
There are some circumstances under which eligible upgrades cannot be retrieved using this utility:
• If you purchased your software at a retail location, and never registered it.
• If you specifically opted out from receiving email communications from AIR, or the partner from which you made your purchase.
For further product support, please visit support
Copy the Confirmation Code and paste it alongside the Confirmation Code.

Enter the email address with which you registered your original purchase, then click Submit.

When you’ve got your Promo Code – revisit
Upgrade the Pro Tools Expansion Pack v1 or (1) 2.0 instrument to the full 2.0.5 pack for Mac & PC
$129.99 Upgrade Now
Click on the yellow button
Enter your Promo Code near the bottom of the Form
Click the yellow Apply button
Follow the prompts
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
From here:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/...k#.VlP7617M8g4

Click the Yellow Upgrade button
Scroll to the bottom of the list:
$129.99 Upgrade Now
Enter your promo code at checkout to receive discount pricing. Learn More

Get your Promo Code here:
http://www.airmusictech.com/PROMOCODES

AIR Upgrades
Email Notification Utility

This utility will look up any eligible upgrades associated with your email address. Upon submission, you will receive an email containing details about upgrade eligibility for your prior purchases.
There are some circumstances under which eligible upgrades cannot be retrieved using this utility:
• If you purchased your software at a retail location, and never registered it.
• If you specifically opted out from receiving email communications from AIR, or the partner from which you made your purchase.
For further product support, please visit support
Copy the Confirmation Code and paste it alongside the Confirmation Code.

Enter the email address with which you registered your original purchase, then click Submit.

When you’ve got your Promo Code – revisit
$129.99 Upgrade Now
Click on the yellow button
Enter your Promo Code near the bottom of the Form
Click the yellow Apply button
Follow the prompts
Thanks unkJE, for your help on this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM

Thanks unkJE. However, I bought my license a long time ago using an old uni email address that I don't have access to anymore. I gave them my deets including an approximate time frame when I first bought the bundle and asked them if they could check for my original purchase.

They simply pointed me to a link where I could pay the full $299. Then I emailed querying why they are asking me to pay $299 on top of the $499. Then silence.

Have I been too hasty in my criticism do you think? Is English not their first language perhaps? Things getting lost in translation?

It shouldn't be this hard. I've forgotten email addresses with other companies in the past but a quick couple of questions usually sorts things out. These guys just fobbed me off to a full-price link, then ignored my email when I queried it.

I might just leave it a while and have another crack later on. I have a short film project to work on and was going to dust the cobwebs off ProTools & AIR for this project but now I'm hesitating. If I try again later and have any success, I'll report back with the positives accordingly.

Sincere thanks for your assistance anyway.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:14 PM

I’ve found Simon Bangs to be most helpful:
[email protected]

Tell Simon what your email address was at the time of your initial purchase (and that you don’t have access to it now) – hopefully, he’ll get it sorted for you.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Cheers unkJE. Will give Simon a try next time and be as specific as possible. Thanks for the tip.