Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Default You guys helped once, please help again: swirling noise

I was playing my 11R tonight and noticed a very annoying swirling noise present on every rig with distortion. It didn't matter if it was a rig that came loaded on 11R or one that I made. It also didn't matter if it was a rig with a high gain setting or a low gain setting. It wasn't limited to one particular amp either and all the rigs which had the noise used different effects, cabs, & mics.

The swirling noise wasn't louder than the guitar tone but it was definitely noticeable. I didn't notice it the last time I used the 11R and considering what it sounded like tonight I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it.

The only difference between using tonight and the previous time is that I had to download the expansion pack installer so that my Pro Tools control window accurately reflected my 11R rigs.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Re: You guys helped once, please help again: swirling noise

Could it be something in the room that is causing the noise? I've had noise issues with other gear that was caused by different types of lighting, and even ceiling fans.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM

OMG.

Seriously.....I had the same thing happen tonight while trying out some patches.

Did it sound like a flying saucer? Like when tape delay starts to feedback?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 AM

As jesling has suggested, it could be your proximity to lighting or even how close your guitar is to your computer monitor.

Did you check to see if maybe tremolo was turned ON? or maybe a chorus or delay or even a reverb or phaser/flanger.

Did you adjust the Speaker Breakup? did that make any difference?

was the Entire frequency bandwidth of the guitar "swirling" or was it just a swirl on top or on bottom?

Where you using monitors or headphones to listen to the 11R? Or a PA or other listen back device?

Was this when the 11R was hooked up to the computer with Pro Tools open or was this in standalone mode?

Is there a difference between the "swirl" when you use the 11R in PT vs. in standalone?

If in PT, what sample rates did you try? What about buffer settings?

Was this when you were Recording in PT?

Did you try turning OFF the 11R and computer, and restarting? What were the results?

Is the 11R plugged into the computer via USB? Directly into the computer or through a hub?

What kind of computer? Desktop, laptop? Flat screen monitor or CRT? Windows or OSX?

Did you try another guitar cable?

If you play anything else through the 11R (youtube, vi in PT ect....), was there "swirling" on that as well?

Did you try another True-Z setting? Did this make any difference?

If this continues, perhaps you could post a sample for us to hear.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies, here are answers to your questions, after reviewing them let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks so much.

As jesling has suggested, it could be your proximity to lighting or even how close your guitar is to your computer monitor.

I played my 11R with the light off, swirl was still there. I also played it with my computer and computer monitor turned off and unplugged, swirl still there.

Did you check to see if maybe tremolo was turned ON? or maybe a chorus or delay or even a reverb or phaser/flanger.

The swirl is present on rigs with those effects turned on as well as rigs with those effects turned off.

Did you adjust the Speaker Breakup? did that make any difference?

I tried different speaker breakup settings, it did not help, at 10 the speaker breakup seemed to make the swirl slightly worse.

Was the Entire frequency bandwidth of the guitar "swirling" or was it just a swirl on top or on bottom?

Seems to be maybe somewhere in the middle, the top end as well as the bottom end are decipherable and the swirl seems to be between the two. I've changed amp eqs as well as EQ effect settings and nothing seems to take the swirl away.

Were you using monitors or headphones to listen to the 11R? Or a PA or other listen back device?

I used monitors and headphones, swirl present through both.

Was this when the 11R was hooked up to the computer with Pro Tools open or was this in standalone mode?

It is there during both standalone and with PT open.

Is there a difference between the "swirl" when you use the 11R in PT vs. in standalone?

No difference

If in PT, what sample rates did you try? What about buffer settings?

Sample rate 96kHz, I'm not sure about the buffer settings, I'm new to PT as well as 11R. I haven't had time to start learning PT because I've been concerned with getting my tones where I want them.

Was this when you were Recording in PT?

No, not recording in PT just having an open session and having the PT 11R control window open.

Did you try turning OFF the 11R and computer, and restarting? What were the results?

Yes, well kind of, the swirl was present last night, I turned everything off and then turned everything back on tonight and the exact same problem is still present.

Is the 11R plugged into the computer via USB? Directly into the computer or through a hub?

11R connected to computer via USB.

What kind of computer? Desktop, laptop? Flat screen monitor or CRT? Windows or OSX?

Desktop, brand new Mac Mini, OSX Lion. Flat screen monitor.

Did you try another guitar cable?

Yes, I tried an expensive one and an inexpensive one, same swirl present while using both.

If you play anything else through the 11R (youtube, vi in PT ect....), was there "swirling" on that as well?

As I said, I'm new to PT so I don't even know how to do this.

Did you try another True-Z setting? Did this make any difference?

I tried them all, did not solve the problem.

If this continues, perhaps you could post a sample for us to hear.

Perhaps I can do this once I actually learn how to do anything in PT, that is if I keep the 11R. I bought it for simplicity reasons, i.e. not having to worry about micing cabinets, not having to worry about turning amps up loud, etc. but if this swirl issue can't be solved this thing is going back and I'll get a different interface and go back to having to mic cabinets, only be able to record at certain times, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions up to this point, any other ones you might have are very much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM

I have had the eleven rack for a few months now and I notice a swirl also. The swirl I'm noticing is more in the annoying Fizz the eleven rack produces. I've read these forums as to the fizz and people saying all distorted guitars have fizz on all albums. I don't think they understand Fizz. When I mic up my amp there is zero fizz. I want to use eleven rack more but anything that has sustained notes or chords has that fizz and swirl(that sounds like a ghosting type sound on top of the tone and yes I hear is on everything). I wish I could get rid of this. I don't seem to be able to eq this out.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11R Newbie View Post
I tried different speaker breakup settings, it did not help, at 10 the speaker breakup seemed to make the swirl slightly worse.
As I understand, the only difference for models that existed before the ERXP is the addition of the Speaker Breakup control. Setting that to zero should give you identical behavior to what you had pre-ERXP.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM

jon9,

It sounds like you and I are talking about the exact same thing. If I play a rhythmic riff where the chords don't ring I don't really hear the swirl (or at least not as much) but if I strum a chord for a measure or two or hit a chord and then let it ring I hear the swirl. Let me know if you are able to find a solution.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11R Newbie View Post
jon9,

It sounds like you and I are talking about the exact same thing. If I play a rhythmic riff where the chords don't ring I don't really hear the swirl (or at least not as much) but if I strum a chord for a measure or two or hit a chord and then let it ring I hear the swirl. Let me know if you are able to find a solution.
Yes, especially on single sustained notes, unusable. But it's like on top of the sound, like I said, a ghosting. Not part of the sound it's like an unnecessary addition to it, that ruins it. If it weren't for that i probably would use it for most of my tracking. It is also pretty noisy in higher gain settings and shutting that down with the gate really clamps any dynamics. If it were my marshall, I'd change the filter caps. Help!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon9 View Post
I've read these forums as to the fizz and people saying all distorted guitars have fizz on all albums. I don't think they understand Fizz. When I mic up my amp there is zero fizz.
I assume you are talking to me. It is just a fact that there will be fizz in every distorted tone. However, if you feel you have evidence that says otherwise, please post it.

If you have "zero fizz" on your mic'ed amp, please post a short 10 -20 sec. sample on soundcloud, box.net, or the like. Dial in a heavy distorted tone suitable for metal, and play. Nothing fancy, just some open power chords will do fine. Then if there is any fizz (which there will be) I'll tell you exactly the frequency range(s) that I can hear it in.

Thanks.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio